PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki engine stalls

twmcmurry
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
I have a 1988 John Deere 265 lawn tractor with a FC540V 17 hp Kawasaki engine. The other night I was cutting the grass and turned on the headlights and the engine stalled. I cranked it back up and it happened again. I have replaced the battery and it still does it. It now stalls when the blades are engaged. The engaging mechanism for the blades it electric also. It has a full tank of gas. What could be the problem?

Mr_Marc
04-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Check all wires to see if they are grounding out. Electric blade clutch could be bad also. Let us know how you make out.

The Lawn Boy Pro
04-14-2003, 10:20 PM
You most likely have a short in your main leads or if you have fuses, one is going quick, or already is.

Also, Does it idle fine or does it idle longer than full throttle? If so, you might want to check your gas filters and screens in the carb and make sure no large derbis is getting sucked up on them You might also have water in your carb float bowl. (happened to me once, but only running at 3/4 to ful throttle)

greenman
04-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Sounds to me like a short in the ground wiring somewhere......if a fuse is blown then you have a short somewhere.

twmcmurry
04-15-2003, 12:24 PM
I resolved this problem by unplugging the 2 wires that fed the headlight switch on the dash. There must be a problem with that switch or the headlight wiring harness. Thanks for all of your help.

LawnGuy73
04-24-2003, 08:53 AM
I agree sounds like an electical problem, I would also suggest putting a bottle of "seafoam" in the fuel to clean everything up good......That stuf works like magic.

jheady
05-02-2003, 12:55 PM
I had a very similar problem with my 25 hp Kaw. It would run fine until you engaged the blades. My troubleshooting determined it to be electronic or the carb. The dealership replaced the carb and the problem still existed. After some troubleshooting, they found it to be the fuel pump. It could not perform when under much of a load. I just got it back yesterday so I have not been able to test it to see if it is indeed fixed, but the mech. said he mowed with it for @ 1 hr yesterday morning with no problems.

Hope it helps,

Doc Pete
05-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Make sure the machine is running on both cylinders (blown ignition coil). If it is running on one cylinder engaging the blades will kill the motor. The 17ph is known for blowing ignition coils. Pete

mowerconsultant
05-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Make sure the machine is running on both cylinders (blown ignition coil). Pete
I believe this a single cylinder engine.......
I am with the other guys here, check your electrical components, pto clutch, harness, fuses, stator, flywheel magnets.....etc...etc...

Later
Pj

Doc Pete
05-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
I believe this a single cylinder engine.......

Yup, sorry bout' that..... I need to read more closely........