PDA

View Full Version : Use/Don't Use Striping kits ??????

LawnGuy73
04-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey I got a ? Ive been mowing commerical properties now for a little over five years, this year I really want to stripe them all out, so my question is how many of you guys use striping kits? Also did you make them yourself or buy the factory ones? Some pics would be great, thanx guys..

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Here is the kit I made for my mower at home this winter. I used it twice so far this spring, and it stripes excellent!

Randy Scott
04-06-2003, 10:08 PM
I have the roller for my eXmark that's made by York sheetmetal. $300 plus

wriken
04-06-2003, 10:22 PM
I did'nt have a chouce, when I bought my Cub, its standard equipment, lucky for me.:p

tiedeman
04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
yup same with me..it comes standard with all of my mowers..of course except the 21's

FrankenScagMachines
04-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Yes/Flap/Homemade on a 52" Scag which already stripes good by itself (w/b). It does good (see pic).

IMHO A striping attachment is useless on a 21" because 21" stripes do not look good [to me] and they add alot of drag which either makes it harder to push or makes it harder on the transmission.

Scag stripes with flap:

FrankenScagMachines
04-06-2003, 10:37 PM
another

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Eric,
I see the trees are starting to green up in your area. How far down are you from the north end of Iowa?

Buckeye1
04-06-2003, 11:08 PM
I made mine similar to rvsuperís and others I have seen on LS. I made it so the chain bar will pivot up if it ever hits the ground (coming down off embankments, etc.)

It works OK but IMO, chain or flap stripe kits canít really compare to rollers for laying grass down.

LawnGuy73
04-06-2003, 11:12 PM
buckeye.. do you ever run over the chains when you go backwards????

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 11:17 PM
When I made mine, I measured the chain on the ends so the tires would not ride over them.

LawnGuy73
04-06-2003, 11:19 PM
o ok, cool I think ill have to make one now....you dont have a patient on that do ya, lol....just kidding.

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Here's a good design from JLC if you understand it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=138106

Runner
04-06-2003, 11:34 PM
If you're even conSIDering a striping kit, the one like Alex has is the way tgo go. I have the York striper on my Lazer, and yes it's built well. And yes, it does a nice job, but for 3 hundred smackaroos, you can do THIS set-up for so much cheaper. The roller has it's advantages, like the anti scalp features, but the chains do too. With the chains, you can back right up to trees and beds, and give the appearance of having gone through it.

Buckeye1
04-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Epic
The end chains are a link or two shorter than the others Ė not long enough to get under tire when the bar is set correct.

Funny you should ask though. When I made it I used round stock and tube for the mounting brackets so I could put it on and off quickly using two pins. Since I made it that way, I went ahead and made it adjustable up and down (about 3 or 4 inches). After I used it a little today, I lowered the chains to see if more chain contact would enhance the stripes. It didnít help much but when I backed up the chain did go under the tire. It didnít really cause any problems though. The chains just slide under the tire Ė didnít really even tear the turf.

LawnGuy73
04-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Alex, what size deckis that, and how wide do you got the chains?

Buckeye1
04-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Here is a picture from todays test run on my neighborís lawn. The chains worked OK except it didnít make the stripes very straight .;)

FrankenScagMachines
04-06-2003, 11:47 PM
here is my flap. It's pretty heavy rubber and stays about 3/16" off the ground (level garage floor).

It does just as good as Buckeye's chains.

LawnGuy73
04-06-2003, 11:50 PM
bush what kind of rubber is it? where did you get it?

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Epic lawn care
Alex, what size deckis that, and how wide do you got the chains?

It's just a 30" Rear engine rider with a 8hp briggs and scrap iron ...i think the kit is 21"? I'll measure tomorrow.

rvsuper
04-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Oops...Misread.
I think I have the chains every 1 inch, but when you cut the chain, you make it twice as long since you bolt the middle of the length of chain to the angle iron. I used about 20' for the kit I posted above.

FrankenScagMachines
04-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Semi truck mudflap. Got it from a relative who is a trucker. There are two kinds, plastic and rubber. You want the rubber one. Cut it with sharp tin snips.

LawnGuy73
04-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Cool, thank you everyone

Envy Lawn Service
04-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Just for future people who search and find this thread....

For those up north, a rubber flap or chains may work. But down south, that won't cut it!!! I tried. I even went as far as to double a piece of thick rubber from a truck bed mat. I put a bunch of extra on the ground as well. It didn't stripe any better than it did without anything.

Down here, nothing compairs with a weighted roller that makes ground contact for really loud stripes.

brucec32
04-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1
Here is a picture from todays test run on my neighborís lawn. The chains worked OK except it didnít make the stripes very straight .;)

They look good enough to me. But that's part of the problem I found with striping. It really accentuates your mistakes! I see some striped lawns and they look great usually, but it does take a little more time to get them right. And since not one person has asked for it in 11 years, I don't plan on adding a striping kit to my Lazer. It stripes modestly already w/o it. I also wonder what look it would give on the lawns where you simply can't stripe due to the lay of the land.

I bid several $500,000 plus homes this spring, and none even seemed interested in my explaination of mulching vs. discharging, so I doubt they'd care about stripes much either. They just wanted it to look nice, not win lawn of the month.

If there's a kit that can be turned "on" and "off" with a flip of a lever, that would be useful, though. There are a few places I would use it (wide open stretches like the above) w/o any problems.

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care
04-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Before I started out on my business venture I was a stripe obsessed homeowner. I have a junk craftsman 21" selfpropelled, and I took a cement block and tied it on the debris flap with an extention cord.

Then I bought my bobcat. I went to all kinds of dealers, Ferris, Cub, Grasshopper, Scag, etc. and they all said "Striping-Kit?!
You can't put one on a ZT, you'll tear it off first time you turn around!"

Then I went to the Bob-Cat, Yazoo/kees dealer, and they said they had factory installed Striping kits!!!! I was sold.

If you all have never seen one, you remove the rear anti-scalp wheels and it fits into the axle holes. It is just a round 1" thick piece of steel. Works great, and it is adjustable, so if you didn't like it one way, change it! When the snow let up finally, my stripes were still there too.

I mow at about 3". I found that the taller the grass the easier it bends and less likely it springs back up.

QUALITY LAWNCUTS
04-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I once read a thread about a book on striping. Do these books have to be ordered or can you find them at the major book stores? And if any of you know the names of some of these books. Thanks

rvsuper
04-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Picture Perfect by David R. Mellor....a very great book.

Tharrell
04-08-2003, 06:48 AM
You can buy those rollers and make your own for less than $50.There's even some pics in some other threads on here. For my Bob-Cat wb, I put a flap from eXmark and ran threaded rod in the bottom to give it more weight. I can and do stripe weeds! Funny, no one mentioned deck pitch? My Bob-Cat striped really good without the flap because the deck was pitched correctly. It's even better now.

Expert Lawns
04-08-2003, 12:37 PM
I have a 48'' lazer hp. how can i put a flap on mine? should i put it behind the deck, directly under the seat? I think there is a bar that runs across it. How you get the rubber flap on it? bolts? i'm not as good with ''customizing'' my equipment as most of you are. thanks

The Lawn Boy Pro
04-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Buckeye1, I think that works great! but If I had a w/b (and I dont) I would be afraid that I would step on he chains when walking! I could see using on my 52" Z though!!

Buckeye1
04-08-2003, 06:07 PM
LBP

Its hard to tell from the close up pictures, but you donít even come close to stepping on the chains. Here is a full view to give a better idea of how far away your feet would be from the end of the chains (at least 18 inches).

BRIMOW525
04-08-2003, 06:52 PM
pics of my scag stripes. no kit. but when I get one, it will be a roller. Probably be homemade.

BRIMOW525
04-08-2003, 06:55 PM
another

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care
04-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Steiner has one of the best stripe-kits I have ever seen. It is like a 3 1/2" Steel roller that spans the full length of the deck. Heavy duty.:D

Tharrell
04-09-2003, 07:30 AM
The flap I mentioned is from eXmark walkbehinds. There's one for hydros and a different one for gear drives. As soon as it stops raining I'll take some pics of the flap and some stripes in a Lesco transition lawn(and a little clover). I considered chains but thought they would get hung up on my trailer.

Simone Lawn Service
04-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Just installed my Checkmate striping kit from Big League Lawns today, and can't wait to try it out this Saturday!

mag360
04-11-2003, 02:09 PM
My idea: Sulkie for wb that is supported by a split roller (similar to checkmate's). No chance of sliding the roller in turns and tearing turf so having the operators weight on it would be no problem.

That is my next project. BHB feel free to beat me to the punch as I am a lazy bum. I do think it will work though.

KenH
04-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Tharrell
You can buy those rollers and make your own for less than $50.

Does anyone know where I can buy these rollers?? My search function on Lawnsite does not work. Thanks

Ken

Tharrell
04-13-2003, 07:49 AM
I may have been mistaken, it might have been posted on the other site. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Tvov
04-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by BRIMOW525
pics of my scag stripes. no kit. but when I get one, it will be a roller. Probably be homemade.

Considering how nice the pattern looks, why spend the money for a "striping kit"? How much nicer will a striping kit make it look? Our lawns look great mowed in patterns, and we don't use striping kits. We just don't see the extra money to be worth it.

The Lawn Guy 2000
04-13-2003, 10:15 AM
I just wanted to know why the stripping kits are not the whole lenght of the mower. They seem not to cover your wheel tracks. Is it suppose to be this way?

Thanks

PaulJ
04-13-2003, 12:05 PM
klc99

I have thought of a sulky like that to but more for better weight distribution than striping.

Here are some stripes from my 36" lesco WB, high lift blades, jungle wheels, NO striping kit.

Simone Lawn Service
04-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Lawn Guy,
The reason the striping kits aren't the full width of your mower is because the tires have plenty of weight to bend the grass whichever direction you are going-the striper just gets whats in between (where there's no weight) :)

Envy Lawn Service
04-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Paul,

What kind of turf is that? Those stripes look pretty good judging from the fact that pictures seldom do the stripes justice.

Since that was done with a 36" I'm just curious, what do those stripes measure in width? I get about a 36"- 38" stripe from a 42" deck. IMO that width of stripe looks great on a small lawn. But as the area get bigger sometimes I'd like them to be wider.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would not have thought the stripes from a 36" would look so good since I feel like my stripes are borderline narrow with a 42" deck.

PaulJ
04-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Envy

It's mostly good ol' Kentucky blue. the pictures did come out good that day with the sun sort of behind me. I try to overlap very little when mowing. I haven't actually measured the stripes but I would say I only overlap 2-4 inches. Or about half a wheel width (the wheels are almost at the edge of the deck on my 36" mower). I don't want to drive over the same path twice but sometimes it can't be helped. This lawn is only about 4000 sq ft. and odd shaped.

thanks for the compliments.

LawnMower
04-14-2003, 11:44 PM
You know what I discovered? If I take the center blade off my mower it stripes better. Plus less where and tear on the machine. From now on im not going to run a center blade on any of my mowers.

FrankenScagMachines
04-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by KLC99
My idea: Sulkie for wb that is supported by a split roller (similar to checkmate's). No chance of sliding the roller in turns and tearing turf so having the operators weight on it would be no problem.

That is my next project. BHB feel free to beat me to the punch as I am a lazy bum. I do think it will work though.

I've already thought of that a few months ago... just hadn't found "just the right" roller wheels for the job. But then I haven't been looking terribly hard as I'm happy with the way the Scag stripes with the flap. Might do a chain kit for it but don't want them to catch on stuff. Might do something like a Checkmate type roller too, I dunno.

mag360
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM

This thread is from early 2003. It's pretty cool to see that some of the ideas here have come into play in the commercial market. Hustler's new sulkie is very similar to what BHB (Frankenscag), PaulJ, and I were talking about.

Mark in MD
06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
You know what I discovered? If I take the center blade off my mower it stripes better. Plus less where and tear on the machine. From now on im not going to run a center blade on any of my mowers.Wow! You know what I discovered? If I take all the blades off my mower, it stripes even better than better. No more blades for me!

Boonman
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
www.mcmaster.com search for a conveyor roller. I'll get a pic of the one I made for my Z-Master. It is 50" long, on a 60" deck.

mrbobian
06-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Ok, quick question for the exmark guys out there, on their website they list a striping kit for the lazer z ct mowers and in the pic of the kit, it shows two little brackets off to the sides of the deck to mount the roller on. Well my 48" has nothing of the sort so where and how does the thing mount? and how much do these kits usually cost?

mowingizbestsport
06-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Has anyone tried standing on a mud flap which is connected by chains?

Ramairfreak98ss
06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
well being a long time simplicity tractor/mower guy when i was young... and that said, being very used to awesome stripes... my ferris mowers just arnt impresive at all.

They dont stripe because nothing is there to make any stripe.. Id love it if they did and they do make some flap kit that im only a month away from ordering for both machines.

I have a 06 Diesel legacy xl with a 60" deck , full floating and full width rollers.. Yet i dont use that for mowing my lawns :/ It will make a large lawn look 5x better than my zero turns hands down, but its not a zero turn.

Ive seen some other local companies lay down stripes better than mine, but mainly it depends on the grass type, thickness and health though. If my area in jersey wasnt so competitive and "cheap", companies doing 1-1.5 acres for mearly $40-50 many times, i wouldnt mind carrying around the 9mph "tractor" to make a lawn look that much nicer

heres a few shotshttp://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/4817/2893194490036233031S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2893194490036233031dIJXoz)
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/4914/2299502460036233031S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2299502460036233031goWTdf)

Envy Lawn Service
06-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Sweet Simplicity!

Every one of those I have ever seen had a flawless cut, unmatched really.
And the stripes are great too...

I've never used the left hand discharge though.

Simplicity has some of the most unique cutter deck setups out there.

Sammy
06-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Don't Use.