PDA

View Full Version : planting bed job

LocalTouch
04-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Customer wants his planting beds around his house lowered. Total length around house is 143 feet. Average width is 5 feet. He wants beds lowered about 3 inches. There are a total of 24 plants or very small bushes that would need replanted. Soil removed can be wheelbarrowed to rear of property and dumped, only about 50-75 feet away. I would have a total of 2 people doing this job. Please give me some idea of time it would take. I figured it out that it would be about 6.6 cubic yards of soil that needs to be removed. Thanks!

Acorn
04-07-2003, 12:08 PM
give an hourly rate that covers you.

Also, have you considered using the soil you are going to remove as a topdress to the lawn. Most problems in a lawn stem from poor soil quality. The addition of a half an inch of soil would probably do good for the lawn. You could also offer to seed and fertilize the topdress. The owner might go for it and then there is more $$ in your pocket and their lawn will be better off too'

Just a thought

LocalTouch
04-07-2003, 11:10 PM
I would just like an estimate on time. I will add in my own figures and materials. Thanks

Frosty_03
04-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Are you included in the total of two or are you the third. If its only you and someone else I would estimate 8 man hours if there are three of you I would estimate 12 man hours. That is alot of time and dirt to be digging out. I would figure a whole days worth of good hard work and maybe a 30 min lunch break. Good Luck and GOD SPEED!!!:cool:

baddboygeorge
04-08-2003, 01:04 AM
a job like that you could make good money on by giving him a flat rate . the i would get a bobcat an get busy an get it done in a few hours an then get a nice paycheck

KerryB
04-08-2003, 09:27 AM
I think Acorn was only trying to give you an idea for more profit.
Something else to think about. Those 24 plants are you responsible for them if they die?
If you are I would add some extra $ tocover it.

Acorn
04-08-2003, 10:00 AM
you would do more damage to the existing lawn with a bobcat and to only use it to move a few yards of soild seems like a waste of time.