PDA

View Full Version : Rockhound?

turfcare
04-08-2003, 10:13 AM
I know a Rockhound does a great job at removing rock, but does anyone use one for the seed bed preparation as well? I have not used one yet but I am going to use one this weekend. I don't want to rent anymore equipment than I have to. The yard I am installing has a serious rock problem.

turfcare
04-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Surely someone knows something about this thing?

The Good Earth
04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
How big is the area you are prepping up? Answer that first then we can help you out. :D

turfcare
04-09-2003, 12:45 PM
37,000 square feet

The Good Earth
04-09-2003, 11:08 PM
On a job that size I would probably lean a little more towards a Harley Rake. The Rockhound is a great attachment. But on a job with a lot of rock I prefer the Harley. The more rock you have the more the Rockhound is gonna pick up. Along with that more soil is going into the bucket. It is almost a a dead end cycle. Pick up more rock, pick up more soil. Under the soil is more rock. Last week we went through the same thing on a job. I ended up switching to a Harley Rake and just letting it go to town. After that we hand raked the rock into piles and scooped 'em up with the bucket. A couple of day laborers can make quick work with a rake and a shovel. I wouldn't give up on the Rockhound just figure out which attachment can make life easier on you.

I hope this helps.

mklawnman
04-09-2003, 11:54 PM
I may be doing something similar with a lawn that has alot of rocks in it, but I would definatly use the Power Rake, never used one before but I'm guessin its pretty easy to use once you get used to it. Cause i may have to rent a skid steer and the power rake to get all the rocks out of the way then pull the topsoil back. Though i know it will take a couple of days to do it, what sizes of Power rakes can you get?? Like if i rented a JD 270 with a power rake dont know how big you can get those.
37,000 sq ft= how many acres?? if any?? I forgot the conversion on that.
Matt

turfcare
04-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, no one in this area has a harley rake to rent, but I did find one Rockhound.

John Allin
04-11-2003, 12:54 PM
We have 7 rockhounds.

They prep the seed bed quite well, as well as removing rock.

Soil needs loosend prior to using it and we use the "eliminator" attachment on our skid steers first.

turfcare
04-15-2003, 09:45 AM
I used the Rockhound yesterday and it worked pretty well. It was a pain dumping the bucket constantly buy I was satisfied.