PDA

View Full Version : Odd Request

paponte
04-08-2003, 03:02 PM
I got a kick out of this one. I just received a call from a movie production company. They said my company came HIGHLY reccomended from several people on their staff. they want me to recreate a Japanese Ven garden, for the set of a movie. The area would be 20 X 20, and would have to include: delivery of all gravel, sand, and boulders, set up, breakdown, and removal. Now I know how movie co.'s work, and the great amount of stress they can impose since I have had dealings with them in the past. Anyone else ever do any type of work like this? I don't even know if my supplier will "rent" any of this material to me.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, it's Tuesday, and they want this done either Thursday or Friday!

Henry
04-08-2003, 03:55 PM
We built a Zen garden last year but I've never rented one out. Maybe your supplier would rent it for half of cost or you just keep it. You could sell it all to someone else for twice as much once it has celebrity status.

paponte
04-08-2003, 05:14 PM
You could sell it all to someone else for twice as much once it has celebrity status.

I never thought of that. Maybe I should think about that. Anyway, I called my distributer and he said he would put the boulders on my account, then just credit it once I returned the materials. Thought that was kind of cool. The movie Co. has called me about 10 times today already asking me for my price. I figured on 2 days, one to deliver and set up everything, and the other to breakdown, and clear the site. I gave her a price of $10K. That is all inclusive. They sounded very interested, and said they would get back to me shortly. I will keep you guys informed.

Also, sorry about all my spelling errors in the first post, I was sort of in a hurry. Here's and example of what they want done. :cool:

Zen Garden...

http://kidquest0.tripod.com/IMAGES/ZEN_Garden2.jpg

KenH
04-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Ive done some work with This Old House before...see it you can work your suppliers name/company in the credits somewhere, anywhere. Companies love this and might work with you on the price, etc.

grshppr
04-09-2003, 01:22 AM
That job sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Good luck and I hope you get it!:drinkup:

Lanelle
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Be sure to figure over-time hours for that one because somehow its going to turn into a long days work. Also, I would figure on having someone on-site during the shoot to re-rake as needed. Better to charge them and take care of them then to get panicked calls about some 'emergency' there. Good luck with it.

paponte
04-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Yeah I thought of all that, that's why I bid so high. We got rained out for this week, but they want it done and will call me when they are ready. 10K for 1 1/2 days isn't bad in my book! :D