PDA

View Full Version : does anybody not do clean ups

ronnie Greenwood
04-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I was wondering if there is anyone who don't do clean ups They seem like they take up to much of my time. The money is alright but between mowing and giving estimates the time is just not there I also think my price may be way to low on clean ups.

roscioli
04-08-2003, 08:13 PM
I think you answered your own question... raise your prices. I hated clean-ups until I tripled my prices, now they pull in good income. I dont do them for anyone other than regular maintenance customers anymore, and they all pay the "pain in the ***" premium.

ronnie Greenwood
04-08-2003, 08:17 PM
I think that I might only do them only for my regular customers to what do you charge per hour or per man hour

Navig8r
04-08-2003, 08:20 PM
I've got a clean up to do for a guy who has someone else mow his lawn..... (I might even get to do it if it stops F*'n snowin and rainin....... ) anyway... got talkin to him, he says yes give him a price to mow, but he's gettin a great price now to mow (didn't say what) and has used the same guy for a few years and is happy with him.....
Now, I'm thinkin, Who's the moron who's mowing cheap and letting his customers pay someone else to clean up..... not a bad clean up...... 1/2 acre, level, not heavy leaves......:confused:

Hopefully I'll get a new regular customer from this one.... we'll see.........

paponte
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah, we do them... at $120.00hr. :cool:

Shuter
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Why not do them, they are a great money maker.

ronnie Greenwood
04-08-2003, 08:36 PM
at 120 an hour i should be doing them but I am piking up alot of mowing acounts I dont want my clean ups to effect my regular customers

T.E.
04-08-2003, 08:39 PM
I have a question on the 120.00 hr. do you tell the customer what you are charging an hour or do you just figure how many hours it will take and then x's that 120.00?

paponte
04-08-2003, 08:41 PM
I tell them how much we charge an hour, then give them an estimated amount of time. :cool:

T.E.
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey that helps, I appreciate the help, I have kind of been hesitant to tell what I'm charging by the hour but I'll probably change now.

Acorn
04-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Navig8r
I've got a clean up to do for a guy who has someone else mow his lawn..... (I might even get to do it if it stops F*'n snowin and rainin....... ) anyway... got talkin to him, he says yes give him a price to mow, but he's gettin a great price now to mow (didn't say what) and has used the same guy for a few years and is happy with him.....
Now, I'm thinkin, Who's the moron who's mowing cheap and letting his customers pay someone else to clean up..... not a bad clean up...... 1/2 acre, level, not heavy leaves......:confused:

Hopefully I'll get a new regular customer from this one.... we'll see.........
Don't get into underbidding what seems to be a lowballer

Runner
04-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Ronnie,
If this guy has some mow and blow operation that is too stupid to see the whole aspect of the business, then that is THEIR problem. So often, I will see a service come in, and mow for x amount, and walk away and leave 3 times that sitting on the table. JUMP on it! I'd rather go around doing cleanup, than what I would just mowing, anyway. The money is aLOT better.Just price it what it's worth, and you'll see. Same thing with the mulching and stuff like that. If you can upsell this stuff to the customer, DO it! If you can't make more money doing THIS stuff, than what you make mowing, you're doing something wrong, because mowing is the LEAST lucritive of all operations out there. It's just that it's so regular is the advantage. We mow, merely for the foot in the door for other services. ;)

Navig8r
04-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Didn't make myself clear......

Not lookin to Lowball........ :nono:
or beat this guys bid...... just hoping he'll decide to have me do it if he likes my work..........He did tell me that every year the "other guy" says he may not be able to keep providing service to him because he's "a little far outside his normal work area"....... but tells me the guy's normal area supposedly is in town only about 5 miles up the road...... I think current LCO is politely tryin to dump this guy due to low price... been mowing it for a long time, maybe feels bad to go w/drastic price increase, or dump him...... so try to get him to call someone else........ just a guess......

philk17088
04-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Be careful telling what you get per hour. Some customers will time you and browbeat you about it. THey don't see the time to dump after the job is done, etc,etc.

Also if your telling them hourly rates make sure they know if it is per man hour or crew hour.

I had experience in selling tree pruning and hourly rate quotes never worked. I learned to price the whole job take it or leave it. I would figure man hours and X the rate and then quote the total dollars. If the crew did it in less time then I figured, we did NOT lower the price because the customer already agreed that the price was acceptable. We were just highly profitable on that job

Just a thought.payup

Runner
04-08-2003, 09:19 PM
That is one bad thing about quoting hourly prices, if they look out the window and see you leaning on your fender taking a drink for a minute, they start asking questions. Let aLONE if you have a CREW that are human beings that require water, also.