PDA

View Full Version : thanks for nothing

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 12:42 AM
i cant believe i cant get even one of u people to bid on my "price quote" thread

crawdad
04-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Maybe there have been so many "What would you bid this job at?" threads lately that they tire of it. I glanced at it, I don't know what I'd bid. How much did you bid?
Crawdad

Lanelle
04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
At this time of year, many of us are so busy quoting jobs for our own clients, there's not much energy left for non-productive estimating.

AltaLawnCare
04-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Don't feel bad, Bobby.

I asked a similar question a while back and just got mostly smart-azz rediculus answers.

If you want to get responses, post about what type of mower to buy, or mention "scrub" and you'll get several pages.

Fact is, probably most here don't know the answer to your question.
:rolleyes:

Green Pastures
04-09-2003, 10:31 AM
:cry:

:D

Sean Adams
04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
I don't think anyone is obligated to do your bid work but you.

I think the reason many people don't answer is because they are smart enough to know they don't know....

Alta says they don't know (but the way he's saying it implies incompetence, and he's wrong).....Without walking the property, how can you really tell?

Besides, everyone's equipment, overhead, expense, labor, etc.... is different.... why would someone else's price matter to you.

I thought you were in this business to make a profit.... what is the definition of scrub...why does it even matter.

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 11:20 AM
sean, i was just curious as to what others are bidding. why should i care? as i stated elsewhere, bidding wars are tougher than ever this season. i wont lower my prices , but was just curious. u dont need to "walk the property". the measurements are there for u. the materials are there for u, everything u need is there for u. i was asking for a quote as if you had to do this job for a client, my expenses or overhead have nothing to do with it. thanks again folks

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
sean, another thing. what do u mean,"nobody is obligated to do your bids?". i dont get that statement. no body here is obligated to answer anybodys posts, but we do. some help, some add humor, whatever, but they get answered.

Doc Pete
04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
sean, i was just curious as to what others are bidding. why should i care? as i stated elsewhere, bidding wars are tougher than ever this season. i wont lower my prices , but was just curious. u dont need to "walk the property". the measurements are there for u. the materials are there for u, everything u need is there for u. i was asking for a quote as if you had to do this job for a client, my expenses or overhead have nothing to do with it. thanks again folks

Hey, now wait a minute;) .......It's really impossible to give you fair quote. Look at it this way "Mr. NJ":p , I live in Basking Ridge and what "I" can charge is totally different than "Mickleton" New Jersey, which is much lower in status. The guy's in Clinton and Far Hills, can get much more money per hour than in Somerville or "Route 9 in Woodbridge".
Pete

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
switch. pretend I AM THE CUSTOMER!!! I NEED THIS WORK DONE!! HOW MUCH IS IT??????? dont u have a price structure? do u have a "price per ton?" price for labor? bid the dam job, now u people are just tryin to act stupid and avoid bidding the job

Doc Pete
04-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
switch. pretend I AM THE CUSTOMER!!! I NEED THIS WORK DONE!! HOW MUCH IS IT??????? dont u have a price structure? do u have a "price per ton?" price for labor? bid the dam job, now u people are just tryin to act stupid and avoid bidding the job

Bobby, bobby, hold your horses. First, I've not seen the original post. I'm just posting to the concept of the post. In other words, just look at the guy's here........One guy's thinks $30/hour is good for his area. Another guy's won't unload his machine for less than $50, even if the job takes only 10 minutes.
Here's how I would bid the job, though I've not seen it. I'd charge $60/hour for any labor, and another $5/$10 per hour for time lost in incidentals.......
I hope your area supports approx $65/hour for your time.......

Sean Adams
04-09-2003, 11:56 AM
bobby....read your very first post....you made it sound as if people at the site should drop what they are doing and bid on your property....

Measurements and so on are important but they aren't going to give you an idea of what someone will charge...and even if they did offer up their price....what does that have to do with what you need to secure the bid and profit in the process?

For example...I can say I need a quote from you bobby.... here it is...help me out...

I have a client that has 1,500 square feet of beds that needs mulched and they want their lawn mowed on a weekly basis and the lawn is 12,000 square feet....what's your price? There's your measurements.....

bobbygedd
04-09-2003, 12:33 PM
rough price. $840+tax for the mulch(triple ground root mulch), provided site is immediatly accsesible, $45-$50 +tax for the lawn., weekly service only april - oct. nope, didnt ask anyone "to drop what they are doing" to help me out. but a bid that small could have been done in my head, in less than 3 min. hope my bid helps u out sean

Andrew S
04-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Sean you are right on the money

the post should really read "how long is a piece of string?"

As stated before looking at a screen is no way to price,you have to walk the property take measurements etc to getthe overall picture

Good luck with your pricing!

thanks

Andrew:cool:

Sean Adams
04-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Wait Bobby...didn't I tell you.....

They want double ground dyed mulch - insect treated.... Their mulch beds are in the back behind the pond....so you need to wheel barrow it to the back one at a time, walk a plank to the 8 foot stone wall, dump in a pile, and then fill the barrows again and take it to the beds.... The edges need completely redone and at least 4 inches deep... they also expect pre-emergent to be applied after the mulch.

And....

The 12,000 sq ft of turf is all in the front yard, on a 3 section slope with 30" gates all the way around.... have to be cut with 21" push mowers it seems.... and they want it bagged no matter what.....

Are you still sure about that price of $840 for mulch and $45 to mow....????

Now do you see why asking this question on this site is not going to help most people....

AND BY THE WAY, I DO NOT NEED ANYONE'S HELP WITH THIS OR ANY BID..... I AM PROVING A POINT TO BOBBYGEDD

bobbygedd
04-10-2003, 12:58 AM
sean, if u want to boot me off this site, go right ahead, but i think u r being a bit silly. the quote i asked for could have been easily answered by a proffesional , without a calculator, in less than 3 min. u wasted alot of good space here acting foolish, when u could have easily given me an answer. i guess no matter what i say, u people are gonna badger me. im in a lose lose situation. maybe, when i start workin for beans and rice, ill fit in better. thanks again, for nothing.

little green guy
04-10-2003, 01:15 AM
I gotta agree with switchless, I am in Bernardsville/ Basking Ridge also and the prices here are higher than in other parts of the state. Even mulch costs more to buy from the local nurseries than if you go 15 miles to bridgewater or boundbrook.

The other thing is there are so many, "what would you charge" or "help me with this estemate" posts on this board lately that poeple get sick of answering them, and even if you tell them they are too low they don't care. It's nothing personal. Also I agree that I think alota people on this board arn't confident enough to answer. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of knowalgeable people here, but also alot that don't have a clue. (not so much on the landscape board but more on the lawn mowing) I just get sick of bidding jobs all day that I realy don't like bidding everyone elses too. sorry

little green guy
04-10-2003, 01:18 AM
beans and rice are good... if your a monkey

personally I'm not a big fan of beans and rice. ;)

bobbygedd
04-10-2003, 01:30 AM
monkeys dont like rice. they eat bananas

little green guy
04-10-2003, 01:44 AM
haha :D

gogetter
04-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Bobby, perhaps a simple "bump to the top" post on your original post would have been enough. It may have just slipped though the cracks.

Rather then start a whole new thread with a bunch of attitude.

BTW, I would have answered your question, but I have no experience with stone and don't know what it runs $$ wise. Sorry.

Now go bump your post ya big Nancy :cry:

LOL! Just messing with ya!

John Allin
04-10-2003, 08:11 AM
and, if a professional without a calculator could do it.... why didn't you just do it yourself ??

I'm confused.

65hoss
04-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by John Allin
and, if a professional without a calculator could do it.... why didn't you just do it yourself ??

I'm confused. His batteries are dead. ;)

DanaMac
04-10-2003, 09:40 AM
I've been amazed at how many of these bid help subjects there have been. All the jobs, sites, regions, comps have different rates or bidding procedures. Asking for help here is like a customer calling me and asking my rate for installing a system. Sorry can't quote over the phone. then they ask why I don't have a per zone rate. OK - what about the sidewalks and driveways to go under, the tree roots, the drip zone they forgot they wanted, no stub out, 3/4" or 1" main to the house, ground that is granite in areas and sand in others, the fence that needs to be taken down for machinery because gate is too small, redesign of zones due to above mentioned fence, 45-60 minute drive from shop.

Want more examples?

bobbygedd
04-10-2003, 11:31 AM
you are doing everything to avoid answering the bid. thats fine. y didnt i do it myself? i did, two weeks ago. i just wanted to compare with the rest of you. there is no picture for me to post, so i will just describe what i am doing. i am "mooning " , all of u! so there!

Sean Adams
04-10-2003, 11:35 AM
bobby.....I'm not kicking anyone off of anywhere....

I'm just trying to show you that starting a post with attitude blaming others for not helping you is the actual waste of space and time you were referring to... My post was trying to show.....

nevermind...

Thanks for all the responses.

paponte
04-10-2003, 06:26 PM
I posted man... I posted. Please don't yell at me. I was out working. I am sorry, I will never do it again. If you want a prompt reply, just say so in your post so it gets priority. :cool:

rodfather
04-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Hey, now wait a minute;) .......It's really impossible to give you fair quote. Look at it this way "Mr. NJ":p , I live in Basking Ridge and what "I" can charge is totally different than "Mickleton" New Jersey, which is much lower in status. The guy's in Clinton and Far Hills, can get much more money per hour than in Somerville or "Route 9 in Woodbridge".
Pete

Pete

I agree. As soon as you get south of Trenton, the rates predominately drop. It gets very rural again and $60 or $65 an hour rate for mowing ain't gonna cut it (no pun intended). But if I remember bobby's original post, he could have provided us with a little more background info.

sbecker25
04-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Bobbygedd will be out of business in a year or two unless he stops worrying about everybody elses business and starts worrying about his own. My Mom used to call people like Bobbygedd 'snoopy"

leadarrows
04-10-2003, 10:50 PM
I did not bid because one of the reasons I come to LawnSite is I am still learning the ropes in this business myself. If you guys would just post your bids and how you came up with your figures for your area those of us trying to learn could make the regional adjustments to you pricing system and actually LEARN something instead of reading your excuses as to why you can't. That doesn't help at all. I always figured it was understood that prices would very some but come on a system such as so much an hour for this or by the sq foot for that gives us newbies a bench mark of sorts and would help stabilize the market some. Hopefully.;) There is no write or wrong answer, there is just your answer. You do know what YOU would charge right? That is what was ask. Not what would you charge if you lived next door but what you would charge. Seems pretty simple to me. I know exactly what I charge to haul stone or mulch. I know how much I charge to scrap out a house. Its priced by the sq foot. Give me the footage on the house takes me 3 seconds to give you a price but I do that every day same as you guys when its pricing lawn and land scape jobs.
If the number of trees or other obstacles are not included in the question then assume an average amount. OK an average amount might be iffy but. It's the system that you use that is needed to learn, pick-from, combine what ever to come up with something that works for us in our areas. If you don't want to give away you secrets thats fine can't blame you for that. Don't expect you to care if I blame you or not ether. :D

bobbygedd
04-11-2003, 01:09 AM
shbecker, ive been around a while, and will be around a long, long time, god willing.

John Allin
04-11-2003, 12:56 PM
I hate being mooned on-line. The mental image is disgusting...