PDA

View Full Version : AERATION WITH GOLF SHOES

OLD CHAPP
09-07-2000, 11:57 PM
WE HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH GOLF SHOES WHEN WE CUT.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?????

southside
09-08-2000, 10:53 AM
OOOOOOkkkkk???
Would be alright if you were mowing postage stamps.

Karl

Turf Kutter
09-08-2000, 12:39 PM
If you can aerarate with golf shoes, I can aerarate with my sneakers.Sneakers can not aerarate.

dfor
09-08-2000, 04:35 PM
To aerate properly, you need to actually remove a plug of dirt from the soil. This way the soil becomes less compacted and the roots have room to spread. Golf shoes in my opinion just compact the soil. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

greenlawncare
09-08-2000, 05:06 PM
They sold a product in the seventies that I remember. It was a strap on board the size of a shoe with 1 inch spikes on it. There were two straps you used to attach it to your shoes. They sold it to a bunch of morons until they were taken off the market for false advertising.

Aeration must reduce the overall density of the ground to be useful. What you are doing with golf shoes is decreasing the desity of the area of the hole and increasing the density of the area next to the hole. The net effect is the same overall density. Except that the soil that contains grass is more dense and the soil that contains no grass has practically no density. Besides causing increased density for the plant, you are also going to be tearing roots for no reason.

I'm sure they didn't teach you this one landscaping school.

Toddppm
09-08-2000, 08:31 PM
Dense? I don't know but they still sell those things, i think they are in amleanords catalog.

dhicks
09-08-2000, 09:18 PM
I wear golf shoes, too! It great for the smaller properties.

bob
09-08-2000, 09:34 PM
The new Ryan aerator says Nike on the side.

Kevin
09-08-2000, 10:21 PM
Not a bad idea. I do a HOA common prop that some idiots believe is a range.

BRL
09-08-2000, 10:29 PM
Guys & gals,
How do you think all those GCS's keep their courses looking so beautiful without one aerator in their equipment inventory ;) ?

cos
09-08-2000, 10:48 PM
My brother used to wear golf shoes but, not to aerate. He used them cause he slipped once and thought that they would cure that problem.

lawndog
09-08-2000, 10:50 PM
How about strapping them golf shoes onto your trusty
dog, think how much more would get done not to mention
the free fertilizer.

cos
09-08-2000, 11:00 PM
But I dont think the poodle will do too much good.

yardsmith
09-09-2000, 12:07 AM
That's an old Jerry Baker lawn trick. Use them if you have them; they couldn't hurt, but the benefits will be minimal other than for traction.

John DiMartino
09-09-2000, 11:26 AM
Golf spikes have been banned from 95% of the golf courses around the country,they do more damage than good,the new spikeless shoes allow the greens to stay better allowing truer putting and no wear to bridges,roads,floors etc..The golfer that drags his feet with spikes does the most damage,this tears up the thatch layer and keeps the greens from putting good over that spot.

cos
09-09-2000, 02:07 PM
Hmmmmmmm. I dont know about that john. If memory serves me well I was just at a golf course and most people were wearing spikes.

John DiMartino
09-09-2000, 06:19 PM
By spikes,I mean metal spikes are banned,people now use the plastic spikeless or spider spikes,both of which do not dig into the turf like the metal ones do,spikes are not allowed on any high end or even low end courses now.We have been spikeless for 2 years and have had zero complaints from golfers,we still change out at least one set a week from a golfer woh hasnt played in years and doesnt know.

Runner
09-11-2000, 09:40 AM
INTRODUCING THE ALL NEW.....................
Skag Turf Tiger Woods!