PDA

View Full Version : Backhoe/front loader

hollar
04-09-2003, 02:03 PM
What do most of you recommend for a backhoe/front loader? Make and size? Looking to spend 20 to 30k.

pjslawncare/landscap
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Could p/u a decent used Case for that range. Ask a couple rental place what they have luck with. Ebay has a bunch if you can go get it.:)

columbiaplower
04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
What will it be used for? Id look into a kubota. THey are good, and can be used for many tasks.
-Nick

PAPS
04-09-2003, 06:27 PM
For $20-30K you can easily put a nice 4x4 - 580 Case, 416 Cat, or 310 John Deere to work, and not for nothing, you can't go wrong with any of those choices. Also, I have run JCB's and there pretty nice as well. But if you are going to go for that size, make sure you go 4x4 it makes a huge difference. Operating weight on those machines will be about 15K-18K pounds, so make sure you have a nice truck w/airbrakes to tow it.

dforbes
04-09-2003, 10:46 PM
If it were me I would look at a bobcat with a backhole attachment. These machines are so versitale and you can do so much more with them.
Dennis

gslam88
04-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Hollar,

What are you planning on doing with the backhoe loader... do you have a way to move it... are you doing small jobs or some heaver duty stuff...

I ask some of these because if you only have a 5 or 6 ton trailer say then most of the Case, Cat, Deere, JCB would be out of the picture with that trailer.... also will you use to pull the backhoe with.... if you only have a F350 your don't want to pull a John Deere 710 with it... you know what I mean.....

My personally opinion is that I do not like Case... some people do... not I

Also I see your in CT.. what part..

Also welcome to Lawnsite....

Pete

little green guy
04-10-2003, 01:53 AM
You could definitly get a nice case 580L 4x4 for that price. I love case, we have a 480E and my Father is a builder and has a 580k 4x4. Definitly get a 4x4, it makes a world of difference. The 580 is a great size machine, the 480 is a little small and lacks a little on power in my opinion. I love case but I may be a little partial because I've been around them all my life. I definitly would not get a JCB though. One of the guys that I park with and share an office with is an excavator and has a new JCB 214 and has had nothing but problems with it, he's lost a ton of money on downtime and dealer support sucks. maybe it's a lemon, i don't know, it's a nice machine, when it runs :dizzy: Thats just one machine I would stay away from.

hollar
04-10-2003, 09:57 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input, I see there is a lot of variables to consider. We will be using it for smaller jobs, as well as loading sand in the winter time. As far as a trailer the biggest truck we have if a F350. So I guess I would need to stay in the range of either a small babcat with an attachment or a smaller Kubota. I agree with the mandatory 4X4. Unfortunately we had to turn down a lot of business due to the fact that we never had a machine. So, it's a no brainer for return on investment

In regards to GSLAM88's question. I live in Monroe, CT, but the business is out of Norwalk, CT which is about 30 miles south. It's actually my fathers business which I will be going into. The name of it is Hickory Landscaping Inc. It's been around since 1978 and I plan on expanding it the Monroe area. A lot of room for business expansion in that area because people are moving up there due to housing affordibility. Many of them commute to NY and Stamford. So not only will their time be precious because of the long commute, but they also have the money to spend.

fblandscape
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Hollar, why not check out a bobcat (873?) or something along those lines, with a 10K lb mini X? They are both easily moved with the truck you have, and have more applications than a regular TLB.