PDA

View Full Version : starting out

yardguy.net
04-10-2003, 03:49 PM
I was fired from a job in Florida for no reason of my own. I had no money saved and was suffering pretty bad from asthma. I decieded to move to San Antonio because I was raised in Texas, Corpus Christi which isn't to far from here. All I had was a sears credit card and no money. I always wanted to try and start my own lawn service so I said this is the time. I had an old van to haul my equipment. I had a 3,000 dollar limit on my sears card. I went to Sears and bought a lawn mower and weedeater and edger and a few other tools. I was homeless living in my van so I also bought a cell phone and rented a mailbox. I bought some material from Home Depot and some paint and started making signs. I put signs around the neighborhoods I wanted to do. I would get calls on my cell phone and do everything in the back of my van. Every day I would have to go to storage and unload my bed and tv and stove and other articles and then load up my equipment and go do yards and when I was finished I would drop off my equipment at storage and get my bed and stuff. It did'nt really take to long to get a fairly good business going. Within 2 months I got an apartment and a computer. 6 years later I just moved into a big 4 bedroom house with a big yard. I just got married last year and I also obtained 4 beautiful Cocker Spaniels that we now breed and show for a hobby. I guess I have a lot to be thankful for from this business I just wish the grass grew year round ha ha.

John Gamba
04-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Great story You Must Be Impressed With your self!
I Started About 8 years Ago With a 79 Chevy Van A 16 Foot trailer Paid way to Much For And home lite Blower And Weed Whacker. Now I Have 5 Company's that i Bought And Kept separate. I To Just Moved Into A 4 Bed 3 Full Bath house On an acre Of Land. When I'm In Better shape I Will give thanks.

John.

cigz
04-10-2003, 04:19 PM
I owned an advertising company and alot of advertising dollars were drying up. I love being outside so i decide to start...

Im still new well see how it goes.
Wish me luck..

John Gamba
04-10-2003, 04:26 PM
GOOD LUCK!!

Jimbo
05-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Great story...could be a made for TV movie I think. Very Inspirational!!!!!!!

How much success was attributed to your wife?? I owe alot to mine so I am sure the same goes for you.

Good Luck in the future.
Jimbo

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
08-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Very inspirational! I had a hard start myself (not that hard) but I do understand where you are coming from. You must be proud!