PDA

View Full Version : Do we really like are mowers?

bridges
09-08-2000, 08:52 PM
So how many of us really like are mowers? The mower you have for years finally had enough or you had engough of it, so you take a ride to your dealer. You buy a zero turn off him. You take it to your first job. And cuts like s***! And you are stuck with it. Your customers keep telling you the mower is not cutting the grass. you bring the mower to get fixed, but by the 6th time of dropping it off at the dealer you leave it and never pick it back up. two years later you get your money back. So does anyone not like what they buy? We all know that eric loves his chopper.

Tony

bob
09-08-2000, 08:58 PM
If I didn't like Grasshopper's I wouldn't have two of them. Whats the great thing about this forum is that you get to "test drive" mowers from home!

landscaper3
09-08-2000, 09:03 PM
We love are Walker mowers and our Toros are pretty good cutters, Always demo a mower before buying one if they wont let you there hiding something. Thats why when we first bought a Walker, I asked them a local Walker dealer too come to one of my job sites for a free demo and they did without a hesitation, one try bought that same demo mower next day and now another one this year. Most dealers if they want a sale will let you demo one. LONG LIVES WALKER MOWERS!!

BUSHMASTER
09-08-2000, 09:19 PM
DEMO.DEMO.DEMO
We all make mistakes from time to time its allways a good idea to demo a unit we are the customer and it is a sizable
purchase and we are owed that by those who supplie this industry.I have yet to hear ..infact that what a good salesman wants you to do after all you have had the unit for a while and its just like your best friend, and until you sit and operate a new unit, when you find the right one.aarrr ..aarrr you say "how have i done without this for sooo long....
I love my walker,i love my Dc, i love my toro.. a differnt tool for differnt jobs..

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-10-2000 at 12:16 AM]

thelawnguy
09-08-2000, 09:21 PM
Look at it this way: My Turf Tracer makes me fistfuls of money, its paid for, and I know it well so its better for me to replace parts as they wear out than buy a new $5k machine. Heck it might cost me 300 for spindles 100 for tires still cheaper than a new one which will do the same thing. Oh dear, I suppose I wont impress you guys with my peeling decals and worn paint. Boohoo!

CandJ
09-08-2000, 10:11 PM
I have a new Scag Ultimate 52" mower that is easy to operate, and leaves a great cut. I am very pleased with the purchase. The only problem was a belt that snapped just past the 90 day warranty.

yardsmith
09-08-2000, 10:50 PM
I hope that anyone spending more than 300-500 for a machine would have enuf brains to try it out first & demo it. If not, then he has no one to blame but himself.
My Bobcat Z haas been good to me this 1st year that I've had it. Other mowers are keeping up their end of the bargain too. Sure there are some things I might improve upon if I could, but I'd say I'm 95% happy with it. The other 5% I can't change, so I don't worry about it, because I'm a perfectionist, & it is somewhat immaterial.

geogunn
09-08-2000, 11:01 PM
what would I change about the ole lesco, 48 belt?

glad you asked. I'd change it into a hydro turf tracer in a heartbeat if you'd eat the $4000 difference in the purchase price and the trade.

heck, I might go buy a TT any way. but not today, (as long as that 14 kaw keeps slinging grass)!!

GEO

RYAN
09-09-2000, 01:11 AM
We love are Exmarks. They are are best mowers. All are guys love Exmark. We give are lawns nothing but Exmark, and they love are special treatment.

BUSHMASTER
09-09-2000, 01:16 AM
you get the idea that he might like exmarks

Eric ELM
09-09-2000, 08:21 AM
I sure like "OUR" Dixie Choppers. :D
I know it's not hour or are, must be our. Which is it Barkleymut? I sure wish this new software had spell checker. :)

MOW ED
09-09-2000, 08:36 AM
I love MY Walker and MY Toro. I know they are MINE because they are paid fore. HEHE

John DiMartino
09-09-2000, 09:44 AM
Tony,what you wrote happened to me,I bought a new DC,and it seemed to cut good at first,bit the grass was thin so i couldnt tell.I quickly noticed as we got the spring growth that somenting was wrong,it was leaving strips and an uneven cut.My dealer didnt know what to do,it was also covering me with clippings blowing out the front to the point that I had to wear glasses.I got fed up with it and called the 800 # on the DC site,they told me what to have the dealer do,and it fixed it about 90% of the way.It still isnt right and warranty is running out,DC was supposed to set up a rep to look at my machine 3 weeks ago-DC still hasnt called back yet.This is the bad thing with dealing with a small company like DC,if this were a Toro I wouldve had a rep in 3 days,They stop by our golf course to check on our machines every couple months as a habit.I looked at a Toro,glad I bought a DC,even with the cut problems-its deck is so thin by comparison.I do not regret by purchase,i feel i still got the best machine,even if my steiner cuts better.

John DiMartino
09-09-2000, 10:08 AM
Stone-I was looking at 72" and 62" ZTR SFS decks,the spindles are small as is the deck thin,--local dealer is way overstocked and has loads of them left,prices are very low-still no taker-DC delaer has been sold out since july,does this mean anything?I dont know-it could be just ordering mistakes or is Toro slipping in sales lost to DC?

BUSHMASTER
09-09-2000, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
Tony,what you wrote happened to me,I bought a new DC,and it seemed to cut good at first,bit the grass was thin so i couldnt tell.I quickly noticed as we got the spring growth that somenting was wrong,it was leaving strips and an uneven cut.My dealer didnt know what to do,it was also covering me with clippings blowing out the front to the point that I had to wear glasses.I got fed up with it and called the 800 # on the DC site,they told me what to have the dealer do,and it fixed it about 90% of the way.It still isnt right and warranty is running out,DC was supposed to set up a rep to look at my machine 3 weeks ago-DC still hasnt called back yet.This is the bad thing with dealing with a small company like DC,if this were a Toro I wouldve had a rep in 3 days,They stop by our golf course to check on our machines every couple months as a habit.I looked at a Toro,glad I bought a DC,even with the cut problems-its deck is so thin by comparison.I do not regret by purchase,i feel i still got the best machine,even if my steiner cuts better. JUST GIVE ERIC A CALL HE'LL FIX IT !!

gary pace
09-09-2000, 06:14 PM
Man, I love my husqvarna 60in. but have only run it about 50 hours & it's my first ZTR. From reading this site & talking to others the only other two ZTR's I would consider is the DC & Grasshopper.

THANKS ERIC, I AM A COMPUTER DUMMY!

[Edited by gary pace on 09-10-2000 at 01:53 PM]

Keith
09-09-2000, 07:19 PM
My Kees ZTMax 61" is a pretty decent mower. I really should have bought an Exmark due to Yazoo/Kees' parts availability situation as well as the unknown future of the company itself. Right now it has a wheel motor leaking a little fluid. I don't dare take it in for service right now while the grass is still growing at a fairly rapid rate. My Grasshopper 721 was pretty fast in it's day, but I would hate to rely on it right now as a primary mower while the Kees was in for service for who knows how long. Other than than that the Kees cuts good and is pretty fast.

bob
09-09-2000, 08:28 PM
Maybe it's "aarrr" like a pirate would say!

dhicks
09-09-2000, 09:01 PM
Well, as for me, I love my Toro Z 62" deck and my new Hustelr Hydro W/B. Both are fantastic machines.

eslawns
09-09-2000, 09:07 PM
I'll be getting my first rider next Spring. I like the cost to profit ratio of the walk behinds, but I think the comfort of sitting will be worth the extra cost. It's a toss up between the Husqvarna 60" and the MTD 260Z. I demo'd both and they were both awesome. I never did figure out what caused the drive wheels to lose traction and make ruts, but I know it was my driving. What I do know is that day I cut 14 lawns alone and wasn't as tired as when I cut 7 the day before with a WB. I wouldn't worry much about anyone with a Yazoo/Kees. Since Husqvarna bought them, their problems should be worked out. Anyone here know anything about the Encore Prowler? They have two configurations; a belly mount deck and an out front deck. I've seen their Z42 and Z48 and was not impressed.

Eric ELM
09-09-2000, 09:24 PM
MTD? I would shop around and demo demo demo first.

RYAN
09-09-2000, 10:37 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE

Keith
09-09-2000, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by eslawns
. I wouldn't worry much about anyone with a Yazoo/Kees. Since Husqvarna bought them, their problems should be worked out.

You'd think so. However I ordered a $1.60 cover for the deck lift control....got one 6 weeks later. I still haven't got my brake bands I ordered in May. LOL

I hope Husqvarna doesn't ditch the design completely, that would make everything nearly impossible to get. Luckily they are so similar to the Exmark you can interchange some parts.