PDA

View Full Version : Benchmarks for flower installs?

GarPA
04-11-2003, 08:07 AM
There are some threads here on this topic but perhaps we could use some updated input and hear from some of the new folks here. Regarding annual flower installs, what benchmark do you use for annuals installed perhour? For example I have a job coming up to install 300 3" pots of wave petunias. I've seen prior posts where the man hour estimates are allover the place. For reference purposes, I just dont throw them in the ground ...I like to plant thngs with some care so they do well. So, lets take it from the point of the flats are now at the job site...beds already mulched, install plants, apply starter fert, clean up. What would be your guessimate on man hours to do this? iF you want to include the dollar number fine but the manhours is what I'm really interested in...thanks much

KenH
04-11-2003, 09:18 AM
You would have to figure you can carefully plant around 2 3" pots per minute. That is assuming you do not have a lot of walking. At 2pm, thats 2 hours 30 minutes. This does not take into consideration breaks, walking to the truck, talking to customer, taking a nap, etc. I would estimate up to 3.5 hours to be safe for one man.

rodfather
04-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by KenH
You would have to figure you can carefully plant around 2 3" pots per minute. That is assuming you do not have a lot of walking. At 2pm, thats 2 hours 30 minutes. This does not take into consideration breaks, walking to the truck, talking to customer, taking a nap, etc. I would estimate up to 3.5 hours to be safe for one man.

Taking a nap? LMAO. GarPa might not be some spring chicken, but I would think he should be able to do the entire job without laying down someplace and falling asleep.

GarPA
04-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Thats right Rod-the-young- one....The only break I take is get the headphones to listen to Glenn Beck and El Rushbo. I love being a well informed and politically astute guy who works in the dirt for a living!!

KerryB
04-11-2003, 10:01 AM
I would figure 3.5 to 4 hrs.
I tend to plant a few a stand back, take a look then maybe I want to change something. lol
Indecision hits me a lot when I am planting flowers. I rearrange the entire time I am planting trying to make it better and better.

GarPA
04-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Good for you...I also fuss over them...but a month or two later the compliements are many and I have a very happy customer.
BTW...for you flower nuts, I started using Peters Expert plant food last year...the results were incredible. I also found that Epsom Salt is also a very effective annual fertilizer.....and very inexpensive....try it...you'll like the results.

BOTURF
04-13-2003, 07:46 PM
I buy waves in flats of 18 plants per flat in 3" pots at wholesale at 15.00 per flat ( all other flowers at 36 plants per flat at 7.50 wholesale ) and from last few years planting these waves i would say that with prep work and planting then clean up and watering in you could do the job in about 3 hrs max ( depending that prep work wasnt to extensive) my price would be to install ( including cost of waves and fertilizer ) would be $ 480.00 Mulch would be extra

BOTURF
04-13-2003, 08:00 PM
I buy waves in flats of 18 plants per flat in 3" pots at wholesale at 15.00 per flat ( all other flowers at 36 plants per flat at 7.50 wholesale ) and from last few years planting these waves i would say that with prep work and planting then clean up and watering in you could do the job in about 3 hrs max ( depending that prep work wasnt to extensive) my price would be to install ( including cost of waves and fertilizer ) would be $ 480.00 Mulch would be extra