PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Track skid loaders

worthbrown
04-11-2003, 01:25 PM
I have a friend with an ASV rubber track skid loader. It seems pretty slick, but is it worth the extra money for a machine with rubber tracks. I do primarily yard grading (1-2 acres) with a harley rake. The machine I have (JCB 165) seems to work fine, but considering the tracks. My unit is the high flow machine, and the pump is in the way if I wanted to add tracks to my machine. Just wondering if anyone uses the ASV, or another rubber track skid steer.

paponte
04-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Great for construction, heavily muddy, or hilly sites. Track machines are generally larger, heavier, and wider in size. Good for some jobs... not for others. :cool:

DaddyRabbit
04-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by worthbrown
I have a friend with an ASV rubber track skid loader. It seems pretty slick, but is it worth the extra money for a machine with rubber tracks. I do primarily yard grading (1-2 acres) with a harley rake. The machine I have (JCB 165) seems to work fine, but considering the tracks. My unit is the high flow machine, and the pump is in the way if I wanted to add tracks to my machine. Just wondering if anyone uses the ASV, or another rubber track skid steer.

Worthbrown, If you can afford it go for it. My crew loves the Cat 257. The 257 has the same track set up as the ASV. Once you go w/tracks you'll be wondering how you did it this long w/out them. You do a better job of grading and the ride quality/capacity of lift is much better. Don't worry,both skids that have tires and tracks kill established lawns when you skid turn. The T-190 by Bobcat has made some improvements as well and in a couple of months is coming out w/the servos like Cat except all electric, not hydraulic. Let me know if I can help answer any of your questions.

Turfdude
04-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Cat purchased ASV last year (as well as mustang 2+ years ago). Cat does have true track skid steers (unlike gehl & others who have tracks that go on the tires). The CATs supposedly do minimal skuffing damage to turf. They're still very new, but supposedly worth the $5000 price increase.

paul
04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Remember that when it comes time to replace the tracks! Here we see about 1000 to 1500 hrs on a set of tracks. cast to replace them $3000 to $5000 so figure about $2 per hour on them.

Tony Clifton
04-12-2003, 12:03 AM
I have been considering trading my New Holland skid steer in for a Bob Cat or Cat with the rubber tracks as well. However I haven't yet ll size (not campact like the ASV RC 30)gone so far as to price these units out. I have 3 questions. How do these units do on pavement and lawns compared to a skid steer with tires, and what do full size units run cost wise?

DaddyRabbit
04-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Tony Clifton
I have been considering trading my New Holland skid steer in for a Bob Cat or Cat with the rubber tracks as well. However I haven't yet ll size (not campact like the ASV RC 30)gone so far as to price these units out. I have 3 questions. How do these units do on pavement and lawns compared to a skid steer with tires, and what do full size units run cost wise?

The tracks do better on pavement than the tires do. They seem to glide over the pavement as opposed to bouncing when skidding to the side as tires do. The compaction is 4lbs per square inch for the tracks which is very good for lawns except when turning like any skid steer. I know from experience you can get a Cat 257 w/harley rake and 4in1 bucket w/teeth for 39K.

Qualey
04-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I have an ASV 4810 and use it for several applications (BTW, CAT only owns 20% of ASV, contrary to what the CAT salespeople tell you). They are expensive, the cabs aren't airtight, and they do require a more dedicated maintenance schedule if you care about such things, but for brute strength, work in snowy or muddy conditions, and grading they can't be beat. My machine weight 8500 lbs dry with no attachment, so get a good trailer!

Matt

r_rivera7272
05-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Get a skid with tires and put tracks on it. It'll give you the same performance with half the cost. I own a set of McLaren OTT tracks. They have rubber shoes on them that you can replace. So far it has about 900 hours on them and it's still doing good. I cannot stop talking about them.

drtyrffnek
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Worthbrown, If you can afford it go for it. My crew loves the Cat 257. The 257 has the same track set up as the ASV. Once you go w/tracks you'll be wondering how you did it this long w/out them. You do a better job of grading and the ride quality/capacity of lift is much better. Don't worry,both skids that have tires and tracks kill established lawns when you skid turn. The T-190 by Bobcat has made some improvements as well and in a couple of months is coming out w/the servos like Cat except all electric, not hydraulic. Let me know if I can help answer any of your questions.

DaddyRabbit does make a point I have rubber steel tracks on my Gehl 4640 and when I wanna do a good looking mowing job I have to take extra time in my turns for the next row or when i unload my equipment i have to go back to those same spots and have to go over it to pack it down and make it look good. it really is time consuming but i do mainly tall weed mowing! But here is a pic of my Skid Steer. honestly when I do dirt work I use the tracks to do cosmetic work over the top layer and it really looks good when u go over it and pack the dirt down. But yeah tracks are way better , I wouldn't be able to do most of the work i do without those tracks!

drtyrffnek
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I also build motocross tracks and it makes my job easier thnx to the guy i bought them from!

lawnboy2068
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
The tracks do better on pavement than the tires do. They seem to glide over the pavement as opposed to bouncing when skidding to the side as tires do. The compaction is 4lbs per square inch for the tracks which is very good for lawns except when turning like any skid steer. I know from experience you can get a Cat 257 w/harley rake and 4in1 bucket w/teeth for 39K.

Not to be a prick, but what you are talking about is operator fault. We have both, wheeled and tracked skid steers. Large models though. Cat 277's and NH 885's. Both have their place but taking a track machine on the street for any lenght of time with improper operator training can cause premature failure of the tracks and the undercarriage. The rubber track machines are not meant for constant usage on the street and the replacement tracks are very expensive. Tracks are for off road, tires for street.

James

drtyrffnek
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Okay well no offense taking but honestly i wasn't really trying to comment about using the tracks on pavement at all, but merely trying to agree with u on the tracks tearing up the ground when turning! That's all

lawnboy2068
03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes, tracks will definitely tear up the lawn or earth when turning. Honestly more so than a wheeled skid machine would. This varies on the operator. Some are better than others and take more caution while turning. Tracked machines just put down less ground pressure upon driving straight than a wheeled machine and won't get as stuck either.

James

drtyrffnek
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Yes, tracks will definitely tear up the lawn or earth when turning. Honestly more so than a wheeled skid machine would. This varies on the operator. Some are better than others and take more caution while turning. Tracked machines just put down less ground pressure upon driving straight than a wheeled machine and won't get as stuck either.

James

okay but yeah i thought i kinda knew what i was talking about!
Anyways i was commenting on DaddyRabbits post! But yeah thanx for ur input there! U know u might end up being the prick u were saying u were, so thnx

riverwalklandscaping
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
whao old post

drtyrffnek
03-13-2009, 11:44 PM
whao old post

Isn't It i really need to look at that from now on! thnx for that reminder