PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Service Area?

Mowman
09-09-2000, 12:12 AM
How many miles do you go to supply service? Right now I'm driving 16 miles. Do you drive more or less for a job? Do you have a maximum on the miles you will go for work? Just wondering how you folks do it. I'd like to expand into the commerical apartment/condo type deals and most of them are about 40-60 miles from home. Hey thanks for your input, I appreciate all comments.
Thanks Again,
Mowman

bob
09-09-2000, 12:15 AM
I try to stay with-in 20-25 minutes from home(maximum). I would never dream of driving 40-60 miles.

Keith
09-09-2000, 01:26 AM
Currently all of mine are within 10 miles of my shop.

Barkleymut
09-09-2000, 05:44 AM
I would drive 200 miles if the money was right. Of couse you probably couldn't come close to any bids from others in that area. Right now 90% of my work is within 12 miles from home. My biggest job however is 32 miles from home.

MOW ED
09-09-2000, 08:18 AM
I have one good paying commercial job that is 5 miles away. I do that one first (7AM) and then head back to my town. Most of my jobs are less than 3 miles from home which cuts lots of drive time out.
If the money is there then it can be worth it but you have to ask a few questions to see if the money is really there. Does the wage cover, gas - maintenance - insurance - increased mileage on your truck and trailer? Does the wage cover your drive time to and from the job? Is it a job you really want? Is there potential to pick up other business either in the area of the job or on the ride home?

I certainly want to help and not discourage you so that is why I'm asking all these questions because if your signed in to maintain a property that is far away it has to be profitable for you. Good Luck

thelawnguy
09-09-2000, 02:59 PM
I have a 10-minute Interstate highway drive from Suburbia (where I live) to the Big City where all my accounts (and the gravy) is, and once off the exit my customers are within a 3 mile radius, then its back on the highway for a 10-minute winddown home.

BUSHMASTER
09-09-2000, 09:11 PM
Columbus ga is kinda big so thers enough bizz here but i will go to phenix city and harris county right next door espesccially if i can get up enough work to make at least a half day out of it. remember good rule of thumb the each customer should have appropreate travel time included in price after all you got to get there

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-10-2000 at 12:14 AM]

landscaper3
09-09-2000, 09:49 PM
We try to keep it under 45 miles do too schools and larger condos.

http://www.nebsnow.com/ideallandscaping

Toroguy
09-10-2000, 02:15 AM
Hi all y'all on Victory Drive near Ft. Benning.

The question depends on your current base of customers. If you need the work, make the drive. if not reduce your service area. If you take the work it does'nt imply a lifelong contract. Simply improve your route in the future, give the customer notice of your intent of divestiture in the neighborhood, and grow accordingly.

gene gls
09-11-2000, 12:15 AM
I have shrunk my route to 10 miles. I have 2 friends that drive to the wealthy area of the city.Listening to them talk about thier problems I don't see how they figure its worth the hassel.Wealthy people don't like to part with the $$$'s