PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Angle

Northern
04-11-2003, 11:01 PM
I just got my mag-9000 today. Let's just say that for a guy who has been sharpening blades for 10 years on a bench grinder, half of that on a really cheap grinder, I am quite the happy camper! This thing almost, I repeat almost, makes sharpening blades fun. I hate sharpening blades so that oughta tell you something. Anyways, my question is this, I believe the manual says that you adjust the sharpening angle by cranking the handle. Do you need to adjust this as the wheel grinds down. As I see it, the wheel is going to shrink in diameter and then require me to lower the wheel. Does this change the angle? Do I need to just keep an eye on this and adjust accordingly? Thanks in advance on what is probably an elementary question.

Magna-Matic
04-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi Northern

I am glad you like our Mag-9000,

To answer you question. Yes you have to slowly adjust the grinding wheel down so that as it wears you keep the same angle.

For our Sharpeners, both the Mag-9000 and Mag-8000, When you adjust the Grinding wheel down to just touching the work table you will be grinding at about a 30 degree angle.

Also remember the steeper the angle the stronger the edge and the shallower the angle the weaker the edge.

Thanks
Erik

lawnmutt
04-13-2003, 08:13 AM
How long did it take to get your mag-9000. I ordered mine over 2 weeks ago. got the balancer in 4 days (lota good that does). Now I've got almost every blade I own dull. called about 4 days ago the guy told me to be patent (still didn't answer my quistion). So how much longer do I have until this wonderful mystery machine is at my door step.

Thanks.

Magna-Matic
04-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi Lawnmutt

Where did you order your Mag-9000?

At the moment we only have recent Mag-9000 orders that have not been shipped yet.

If you ordered it from us please email me your information and it will be shipped on Monday (4-14-03)

Thanks
Erik

Nozzleman
06-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Since I also just purchased a Mag 9000 I want to make sure I get this whole sharpening angle thing right. To get the best blade angle should I spin the wheel by hand, lower the wheel until it touches the table, and the raise the wheel enough so it spins freely?

Also, when is the wheel considered worn out and in need of replacement.

Magna-Matic
06-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Hello,

To set the angle on the MAG-9000, you could do it the way your are describing, or more easily you could have the machine running - and slowly lower the wheel until you see it almost touching the plastic. You should be able to do it by eye - but if not the way you descibed will work just fine. BUT I would suggest if you plan on touching the grinding wheel with bare hands - unplug it for safety.

2nd question - When is the grinding wheel no longer useable.

On the MAG-9000 you can use the grinding wheel all the way down to the blotter (circular paper label), and since the MAG-9000's grinding wheel wears "dresses" to a 45 degree angle you can actually take it off and turn in around and use the rest of it up. JUST don't go past the paper.

If you have any more questions, just ask!!

Thank you,

Nozzleman
06-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the speedy response.