PDA

View Full Version : deck power washing/staining.

slowleak
04-12-2003, 03:30 PM
i have the opp. to bid a job this mon. gentleman has a cedar deck. two level w/rails and steps. about 1200 sq. ft. what pressure should i use to clean.? sorry if i'm off subject. thanks if any one can advise.kevin

gslam88
04-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Kevin,

One place to get a lot more information is

http://www.powerwashnetwork.com/index.php?

Pete

captdevo
04-13-2003, 08:57 AM
one thing you should look into is, if your state requires a license for applying wood preservative stains.

Wood preservatives are considered 'pesticides' and may require a special pesticide license for commercial applicators.

Lombardi
04-19-2003, 03:20 PM
I charge $1.50-$2.00 per sq. ft. for decks anywhere from 150-400 sq. ft. A 1200 sq. ft. deck is very large. I would give them a little bit better rate per sq. ft. due to that size.
Since cedar is a very soft wood you have to be extremely careful to not use too much pressure or get to close with the wand. I have seen cedar decks that have grooves cut in them from pressure washers. Also, is the deck currently covered in a solid stain, semi-transparent, or not protected at all? If you are stripping off a solid color stain it is much more time consuming. What type of stain are you using? I recommend Cuprinol, sold by Sherwin Williams. Stay away from the ones sold in HD or Lowe's

slowleak
04-19-2003, 03:34 PM
thanks dave!! happy easter.