PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old 2 stroke fuel?

fprintf
04-12-2003, 11:58 PM
I have about 1 gallon of 9 month old 2-stroke (50:1) fuel left over from last season. I have heard that as long as I dilute it well that I can simply pour it into my car's gas tank and be done with it. 1 gallon mixed with 14 or so gallons of fresh fuel might be ok. I am somewhat concerned what this will do to my catalytic converter.

Any advice on what to do with this fuel? It had Echo 2 stroke mix, which I think contains a stabilizer. If I can continue to use it, I will! Otherwise I need to do something with it.

I suppose I could pour it on a few stumps to burn them, but that hardly seems very ecologically sound either!

Thanks,
Stuart

John DiMartino
04-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Stuart, whatever you do,do not ever dump gasoline on the ground. MTBE contamination is getting bad everywhere due to this and careless spilling of fuel that can be avoided. I would do as you suggested,dump about 1/2 in with a full tank of fuel,this should get rid if it the same way we get rid of waste oil with our diesels,we burn in it with diesel fuel.

blkberry
04-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Why don't ya just mix it with new 2 cycle blend, and burn it !!! Kind of like using it the right way!:sleeping:

LAWNGODFATHER
04-13-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by blkberry
Why don't ya just mix it with new 2 cycle blend, and burn it !!! Kind of like using it the right way!:sleeping:

Ditto?????????

BobR
04-13-2003, 10:08 AM
I would continue to use the fuel. Like you said the Echo oil has a stabilizer and as long as the gas was stored in a sealed container there wont be any (or minimal) loss due to evaporation. If your concern is octane (hard starting and run on) then I would do as suggested above.
BobR

nelbuts
04-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Take it to a recycle center!

65hoss
04-13-2003, 12:04 PM
I believe the echo oil has a stabilizer in it like several others. Just use it.

SLS
04-13-2003, 12:21 PM
If it indeed has a good stabilizer in it I would just mix it with a fresh 1-gal. batch and use it as it is supposed to be used.

IBGreen
04-13-2003, 01:16 PM
How on earth do you have leftover? That is pretty sparse around these parts. We use all we mix.

fox
04-13-2003, 02:50 PM
mix and use.

Dependable Lawncare
04-13-2003, 03:53 PM
I do not think you should add stabilizer and go. The chances of hurting your car at all with that small of an amount (especially if you use half the gallon for a full tank) is minimal. The chances that you could damage your equipment is much greater in my opinion.

Not an expert on fuel, just telling you what I'd do.

Green Pastures
04-13-2003, 06:19 PM
I'd probably just run it.

If I was really concerned I mix it with a gallon of freshly mixed and go with it.

fprintf
04-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys!

I poured the fuel into each of our cars (1/2 gallon) with 3/4 to full tanks. So far no problems.

As for the comments about using the fuel, ordinarily I wouldn't hesitate to use the fuel but after the rebuilding that was required on my last string trimmer from using old, stabilized fuel I don't think I will again.

Keep in mind, this is a homeowner. I only use 2 gals of string trimmer fuel a year *max*.

Thanks again.

Gravely_Man
04-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Into your vehicles fuel tank will not cause any problems if you dilute it with enough straight gas.

Gravely_Man

Scraper
04-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by fprintf

Keep in mind, this is a homeowner. I only use 2 gals of string trimmer fuel a year *max*.

Thanks again.

Just keep this in mind and don't make so much at the end of season this year.

P.S. Did it burn well in your car?

LAWNGODFATHER
04-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by fprintf
this is a homeowner.

Not to offend anyone, but if this is a home owner, why is this thread in the "commercial lawn care" forum?