PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Carb. on a 1822 GrassHopper

68rs327
04-13-2003, 07:33 PM
I just bought a 1822 GrassHopper.
It has a 18hp Briggs and Stratton on it.

My problem is in the Carb.?
When you start the mower you always have to choke it. When it starts when you push the choke in the motor will run wide open at at the lowest throttle point. If you pull the choke out the motor floods. And if you run with the choke half in the motor spits and sputters.
Can these carbs. be rebuilt?
Or do you have to buy a new one?$$$$$$

Also the mower will not start with the key. You have to turn the switch on and jusmp it across the silenoid and ideas?
Thanks guys.

hosejockey2002
04-14-2003, 12:51 AM
Not sure about the carb problem but the starting problem sounds like a bad ignition switch. Try finding the hot wire that goes into the switch, and jump it to the wire going to the starter solenoid. If it cranks, you've solved the problem.

normal-n
09-19-2004, 02:32 AM
I have 2 grasshoppers (1822) 1 Diesel, 1 Gas.
The biggest problems are usually bad electrical connections. The fuse blocks have slip on 1/4" connectors and they get to the point where they do not make good contact. Sometimes the run solenoid on the diesel does not pull in and you can crank until the battery runs down. Check the voltage with a meter at the power coming into the switch and verify 11 or 12 Volts while cranking ( Mine will drop down to 3 or 4 volts until I shake all the wires). Then check the wire going to the starter from the Ignition switch, then check at the starter (remember there is a plug in-between the switch and the starter solenoid on my diesel- I have had to to unplug it and plug it back in)
The diesel has glass 1/4" fuses and the gas has blade type auto fuses...
Good lick..