PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Landscaping/Contractor Lic?

alexomar2000
04-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone.

I am new to this very helpful forum.

I have been thinking of starting a small (1-2 person) business here in California. I plan on doing ONLY lawncare and lawn maintaince work on custormer homes. I have researched this question quite a bit and have not been able to get a straight answer.

According to an article I read, I DO NOT need one if I plan on JUST doing maintaince work. However I would need one if I plan on doing more extensive work such as landscape installation, irrigation or planting trees. I want to start off small with only basic services for the meantime so I will avoid getting the contractor's license if I am not required to have one. In the future I might consider getting one if I have to however.

Do any of you know if this is correct? Or where/who can I turn to for further advice regarding licensing laws?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alex

BRL
04-18-2003, 07:11 PM
The types of licenses you are talking about are generally administered by local towns, or your state. So you need to research by calling the towns you plan on working in to find their requirements for your business. You should also check with California to see what they say you need to operate your business. Most states have helpful web sites, so you should be able to get good info at CA's web site with a little searching. Good luck.