PDA

View Full Version : Planting Beds with Plastic Edging

WEEDEATER
04-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I have a customer that's needs their Planting Beds re-mulched, and they have plastic edging. The edging is lifting out of the ground and parts are buried, not a good look. Do you charge extra to fix all the edging, do you have the price already included in the Mulch price, or do you leave it alone. If you fix, what do you guys normally do? Rip it all out, start with a Bed edger, put in new stuff? If you charge extra, most likely by the linear foot.

AL Inc
04-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Weedeater- if the edging is still in good condition, reset it. We usually use a flat spade to trench a bit and then lower it. I would charge an hourly rate for that. Of course, if the edging is chewed up, replace it. You can give them a package price either way.

LawnLad
04-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Replacing edging or resetting it would be a different process than mulching - and I wouldn't include it in my installed price for mulch unless you specify it and build the time into the job.

My opinion - in Wissconsin I'm sure each year or at least every other that edging will need to be reset with your freeze thaw cycles. The plastic edging might be better replaced with a simple spade edge - or cut soil edge. Easy to maintain and won't pop out of the ground.

NCSULandscaper
04-22-2003, 02:31 AM
I would rip that plastic junk up and hand edge all landscaping beds.

turfcare
04-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I hate that stuff, I don't know why people use it. Rent a bed edger.

LawnGuy73
04-25-2003, 04:51 PM
The hell with repairing it, replace it...its a better look.