PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Jimmy348
04-15-2003, 02:20 AM
New guy getting started with 10 or so 100 x 100 lots and I plan to expand. Scag has a special on the 48" Tiger Cub (6k). I have a 42" JD Sabre tractor and will sell it for the Tiger. I have all of the other accessories but would like to get a commercial quality mower. Walk behind would be cheaper but I only want a rider. Two questions:

Am i jumping in over my head with this investment?
How much more productivity will the Tiger give over the JD and is it worth the trade up in initial costs?

Thanks.
:)

LawnLad
04-15-2003, 08:50 AM
How much time do you have on your hands with 10 lawns? How much is your time worth?

A riding mower and a ZTR are about as similar as a Buick Roadmaster station wagon compared to a Mini cooper. The scag will be much more nimble and fit into tight locations. You'll be able to turn on a dime and therefore stripe your properties - where as you have "Rodeo" cut or do an eight point turn on a riding tractor.

If you're squeezing the lawns in as a side job and you're stretched for time - or you figure you'll grow into it quickly, then it's perhaps worth considering.

If you're looking for work and don't have a full schedule - stay with what you've got until you need to find more time in your schedule.

Jimmy348
04-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the input. Time is crunched and this will always be part time (side job) until I am either able to hire help or it completely wears me out. I have priced the Dixie model that is comparable and I am more partial to the Scag. I would really like to know which is the better mower or is it just a gut feeling that some individuals stick with one brand or another?