PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions for you......

Langdon
04-15-2003, 03:56 AM
I apologize for dropping all three questions into one thread but I am under a time crunch now that spring has dropped in and I had the former lawn stripped. I don't want to have a bare dirt area in the front of the house for too long so I want to get started as soon as I can address these questions.

1)First off, I need to raise an area of about 450 sq feet by aprox. 5 inches to reduce a gradient in the front yard. I am unsure about how many pounds of soil that translates to. Also where would be a good place to look to purchase decent quality soil in that amount?

2) I purchased a pure blend of Blue-Knight Kentucky bluegrass from this company:
http://www.outsidepride.com/bluegrass.asp
Is my understanding of seeding correct in that I should be mixing this seed with a different type of grass to improve the lawn's resistance to different weather elements and weariblity of the overall lawn? And if I am correct what is the best type of seed to mix the bluegrass with? I am concerned that I get two types of grass that do not complement each other and that grow at different rates.

3)After the seeing is done should I fertilize and use a topdressing? And which product combination of the two work best together?

Thanks in advance.......
And if it makes a difference this project is in Chicago in an area with a good amount of mid-day and afternoon sun exposure.

Catcher
04-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Well,
just some thoughts to your first question.
Cheapest, fastest way would be to bring in a Bobcat and level the area without any additional dirt, if possible.
If you have to have dirt, look for building sites close by.
Sometimes when building roads, sewers, houses etc. the contractor has to haul soil off. If he can save himself a few miles by bringing it to your house you could end up with a couple of truckloads for free.

Catcher
04-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Oh,
I forgot.
To cover 450sq' with 5" of dirt you'd be looking at about 8 yards of fill.
Most landscape companies will deliver that for about $250.- or maybe even a little less - depending on how far they'll have to truck it.