PDA

View Full Version : landscape/lawncare customer liazon?

swing blade
04-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I hope I am putting this in the right area. I was called today by an owner of a landscape co. in Oklahoma about me working as a customer relations person for his co. I would deal with complaints, and issues that arrise with his clients. If someone wanted flowers installed i would go meet with the homeowner, determine what to plant and what size. I would also relay information to the crews about how a client wants things done like pruning and such. Then after the job I would follow up with the clients and make sure they are happy with the work that was done.

my 2 questions are what do you think the pay should be for something like this and do you think it is a good idea to take the job. its monday through friday 50 hours a week or so, and such. i meet with him on 4-16-03 at 9 am. just wanted to see if anyone else does this and what you guys think about it

swing blade:confused:

capital
04-15-2003, 08:26 PM
If u think u can do that job in a week in 40-50 hours, good luck, your high end clients want to meet at their convience. Not yours and that means in the evenings and saturdays.So plan on visiting job sites during the day , visiting clients late afternoon to evening and weekends. Now figure out when ur gonna do ur estiamtes.

swing blade
04-15-2003, 08:39 PM
thanks for the reply. I got some more info so let me clarify some of it. I will not be doing any of the actual work in the lawns for the clients, the crews do that. as for meeting in the evenings and on saturdays that is not a big deal. The part about estimates is not that bad. I have a strict prioce sheet on materials that I must use as well as a sheet for equipment/operator costs. All my job is is to meet with the clients and make sure we know what they want and make sure they are satisifed. I know that high end clients are difficult, so I am prepared for that. I just do not know what a job like this would pay. I meet tommorow and I do not want to get low-balled on pay

thanks for the advice.
swing blade

Meier
04-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Just curious: What is the minimum salary you're willing to accept?

I'd guess they'll offer you a salary of something like $30K. Just a guess. I really have no clue.

What company is it?

I worked for Chemlawn in OKC for a summer during college. They paid me $310 per week, plus chinese over time. (Chinese over time works like this: say a guy works 45 hours in a week...pay him the base of $310...for the overtime, divide $310 by 45...you get $6.88...multiply the overtime rate, $6.88 times the number of hours worked over 40...$34.40...add it to the base of $310 and a guy makes $354.40 for 45 hours. The more overtime you work, the less you get paid per hour.)

Look out for this type of over time pay. It sucks.

Later,
DFW, TX

swing blade
04-15-2003, 10:04 PM
thanks meier,

That is a messed up way to get overtime. I must have forgotten to mention that I am a college student and am 19. I am attending OSU for a business/horticulture degree. I will accept anything higher than $9.75 an hour. I am a college student so I do not have to have such a large cash flow. But more $$$ would be :D

thanks again guys

swing blade

Meier
04-15-2003, 10:23 PM
++++I am attending OSU for a business/horticulture degree++++

I graduated from OSU in May '92 with a degree in Landscape Contracting.

Is Dr Mitchell still teaching there? I loved that guy...the man in the hat.

Later,
DFW, TX

swing blade
04-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Meier,

as far as i know he is still there. I am a freshman so most of my classes are general ed but I think I have seen him some. keep in touch.

swing blade

swing blade
04-16-2003, 11:54 AM
meier,

the company is Pitzer's managment services. The salary offered is 24k a yr and in june it goes to 27k then in oct to 28,500. I am a college student and this is unreal for me. I cannot believe the amount of money for just managing some properties. I will keep you guys informed as to how things turn out.