PDA

View Full Version : where to hold interviews?,

gogetter
04-15-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm running an ad for a part time employee. Rather then just hire someone over the phone, I'd like to have them meet with me in person, and probably fill out an application.

My question is, where do I meet with them? At my house? Seems weird and kind of unproffessional.
I don't have a "shop" per se. Just a storage unit.

What did those of you that have been in a similar situation end up doing?

Thanks!

Navig8r
04-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Haven't been in the situation you're in, but I have a suggestion...

How about breakfast at a diner or somewhere similar. I think I'd be sure as I could be by the phone interview before I invested this time/$$$.

This would allow you to meet an applicant early in the day, on neutral ground. Get it done before your scheduled day gets potentially out of control, and see if the applicant is capable of showing up in a timely fashion. (if you need someone who can get to work in the AM, why not start by seeing who can get to an interview in the AM?)

Just a suggestion......

Lunch could work also, but if your schedule goes awry during the day, it could be difficult to schedule..

Good Luck

LawnLad
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Invite the applicant to meet you for a cup of coffee. A second interview if needed could be done over dinner/lunch. My take is don't waste the $20.00 or $30.00 on lunch for someone who could turn out to be a zero.

You can mail the application to you, have them mail it back. Do a thorough phone interview. Do the back ground check/references. If still good - invite them for coffee. What you're trying in part to figure out is if they're going to show up. The number of times that I've had people stand me up for an interview are too numerous to count.

I don't think it's a problem to meet someone somewhere neutral - just be prepared to have your time wasted. I moved the interviews to my office and/or home just to save time since people aren't polite enough to call and cancel. Now at least I can get work done. It's to the point where I'll schedule the meeting and then I'm surprised if they do show up. Frustrating for sure.

tiedeman
04-17-2003, 05:24 PM
The best way to weed them out first is with their resume. Have them send their resume in the mail first. People that don't type addressed on the evelope or use white out, don't even bother looking at them or opening them. Thats the first easy step. After that then do interviews. You should it narrowed down big time to a few perspectives.

SLC1234
04-17-2003, 07:16 PM
If you are going to be doing alot of interviews, The best thing to do is to rent a hotel room for the day and line up all the interviews there. That way the people coming dont know where your shop and set is, and it is easy to find and dont have to worry about some of the possible employees caseing your shop and tools. This works real good to if you are doing drug testing you can rent two hotel rooms and have the company next room over doing the onsite drug testing. You would be surprised how many people get very nervous if they are going to get tested right after the interview. Just My two cents

gogetter
04-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys.
I should reiterate though, that this is for a part time position. And actually it's VERY part time, just a few hours a day a few days a week.

Perhaps something a little less formal for this situation, like a slice and a coke at the pizza shop right next to the storage facility I use.
This way I don't spend much, and if they don't show, well......I had my lunch.

Thanks again.