PDA

View Full Version : Scag Transmision about to break?!?

Orkin Yards
09-10-2000, 11:21 AM
My 48" Scag seems to be having problems with 5th gear, and i need it to work! i put it in fith gear and it will run for alittle while then it will make a grinding noise and the two things conected to the belts stop spinning and then it starts again and i hop to a quick start, is this something bad? the grinding noise by no means is pleasurable, sometims i can make it do it by stoping the mower and slowly letting off the brakes, it will catch and not go, also this might just be my imagination but sometimes if i kick the gear shifter when it does this it goes, but i think that is wrong b/c the gear thing is all the way over...NEED HELP PLEASE

Eric ELM
09-10-2000, 12:27 PM
It doesn't sound good. If I remember right, you bought that in the spring, so it should still be under warrantee. I would take it to the dealer. My guess is that the two things that are attached to the belts are called pulleys. Are you still using the Pro Slide? How much do you weigh? That has to put a strain on the transmission. Do like Stone does, keep an extra transmission ready to slip in it. The only one around here that I know that uses a Velke type ride on device has had lots of transmission problems. I guess that's why they call them Walk Behinds, that's what they are intended to be used as.

eslawns
09-10-2000, 02:36 PM
What it sounds like is this: Your tranny has 2 shafts inside. One turns when the engine runs, the other when you select a gear. Sounds as if yours is damaged where 5th gear is selected. If you shift while there is tension on the drive system, it will cause this. 5th is a transport gear, so I wouldn't change it unless you are having other troubles. If you decide to change it out, crack open the case and see how everything works. I don't think it will be a warranty part unless Scag does things differently then other mfg's. Usually the engine and tranny have separate warranties. If you can't afford downtime, make sure your dealer keeps one in stock or buy one to keep in your shop. They're only about $200, and that's cheap "insurance."

TLS
09-10-2000, 04:17 PM
I have a 48" 14 Kaw. 5 speed SCAG also. Same problem as I had, have. The shifter slot isn't long enough to the right and isn't allowing the trans to fully engage in 5th gear. I got a grinder and lengthened the slot. Sometimes it doesn't engage unless I persuade it.

P.S. I only use my 5th to "idle" at a fast pace back to the trailer. What are you using 5th for? Mowing , the shifter only sees 1st and 2nd. I really hate the cut of the SCAG and cant seem to get it to cut at 3" unless you take some spacers out from the bottom of the spindles, which makes it cut even worse... 14 hp isnt enough for 48" anyway. I would love a 17 or 19 Kaw!

dylan
09-11-2000, 11:34 AM
5th gear on my peerless tranny did the same thing yours did, until there was nothing left of that gear at all. I was not using a sulky and it only lasted a year. The dealer replaced the whole tranny for me.

Orkin Yards
01-17-2001, 08:27 PM
i've finally decided i want to fix this, i never did get it fixed, i tried cutting out the slot where the gear shifter rest but that didn't fix my problem, is their some place i can order the gears from or should i just get a whole new transmision?!? i really would rather swap the gears but i don't know if this can be done, does anyone know?

SMB
01-17-2001, 09:07 PM
I would get a whole new tranny or take it to a dealer. You could replace the WHOLE tranny yourself, but if you take it apart-they're complicated inside! On the other hand, get a Hydro! ;)

lawrence stone
01-17-2001, 09:13 PM
Check the couplers and axle shafts.

LWNMWRMN
01-18-2001, 12:02 AM
Fitst problem- peerless warranty for commercial use is 90 days. (more reasons for a hydro)
your problem could be a couple of things, first check the easy stuff.
1-check your trans drive belt for tightness
2-check your trans drive coupling's splines.(the larger diameter parts of the shafts with the grease zerks)
3-internally... the shifter fork has detents that hold it in to a chosen gear, if you use your trans in one gear most of the time(ie.. 5th) it will wear the detent and the detent ball.
4-internally... shifter keys may be worn, they make the chosen gear in the trans do the driving. if the key dosn't engage fully it can skip.

you might want to take it to your dealer for the internall problems.

also be very carfull of using a pressure washer around the trans.

lakegastonla
01-18-2001, 01:36 AM
Order the appropriate transmission for your mower. Install it.(15 minutes, max) Take the old transmission to a trained mechanic and have it rebuilt or that one gear replaced. Cost is minimal. Then you have a good trans ready for the next breakdown. The cheapest place to order your transmission is probably J. Thomas.

Site is j-thomas.com 1-800-828-7980

Runs about 180.00. You probably have the 9-spline if it is a new one.

No charge for info. Good Luck

P.S. Part number is stamped on the transmission housing.

[Edited by lakegastonla on 01-18-2001 at 12:40 AM]

Scraper
01-18-2001, 09:12 AM
Hey LWNMWRMN! I just noticed you're from Endicott. I was born and raised in Endicott and lived in West Corners. Nice to see someone from my old area! Is the area still as depressed as it was becoming a few years back?

Charles
01-18-2001, 09:34 AM
Lesson learned from all this trouble is---NEVER EVER BUY A SCAG

Scraper
01-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Unless you pay the extra $$$ and buy a hydro...belts suc#...sorry Charles, but I love my Scags!

lakegastonla
01-18-2001, 09:50 AM
How is that a lesson learned when Scag uses the same transmissions everyone else in the industry uses? The Peerless 700 series transmission is used by Toro, Exmark, Lesco, Scag, and Bobcat just to name a few. It is an industry standard unit and it IS RELIABLE. This transmission takes a lot of wear(and abuse) before it gives out. Cheap and easy to replace, too.

Orkin Yards
01-18-2001, 06:18 PM
2-check your trans drive coupling's splines.(the larger diameter parts of the shafts with the grease zerks)
3-internally... the shifter fork has detents that hold it in to a chosen gear, if you use your trans in one gear most of the time(ie.. 5th) it will wear the detent and the detent ball.
4-internally... shifter keys may be worn, they make the chosen gear in the trans do the driving. if the key dosn't engage fully it can skip

what am i checking on the coupling's splines
and how easy is it to do numbers 3 and 4 above?

LWNMWRMN
01-18-2001, 06:51 PM
reply to sraper

Yes the economy took a dive here for a wile but is picking back up.

as for the trans
On the couplings, after you pull them off, inspect the insides, there should be splines (scag used a very fine spline, and they would wear. thats why exmark went to a 9 groove spline)
as for the other steps, it's not to bad if you lay everything out on a table or a sheet (just like it is in the trans)
when reassembling, clean everything with a parts washer or carb cleaner (even the case halves). Then repack with bentonite grease(available from tecumseh dealers)

Orkin Yards
01-18-2001, 07:40 PM
i'm not trying to be a smart @$$ but is it even possible that the couplings are the problem if all the other gears work just fine, i have recentely noticed that 4th gear randomly skipps, but 5th gear always skips...like its dangerous to drive in b/c i run into the mower or fall off....i'm j/w though if the couplings could be a problem or if its a waist of time to check them...

LWNMWRMN
01-18-2001, 08:25 PM
the whole drive train is under the most load in the highest gears, so it still could be the couplings. Also they (and the shafts) are the first things you would need to take off in order to remove the trans to check for any other problems