PDA

View Full Version : fence post problem

mikesjumpingin
04-16-2003, 12:00 AM
A lawn customer took down his fence, but is having trouble removing posts. Isn't there a good way to get them up, like a jack system or something? Rental places around here said they don't have anything.

Mike:blob3:

kickin sum grass
04-16-2003, 12:10 AM
what type of post? They do make post pullers but only works on certain types. We have used tractor hydraulics, bobcat, etc. If they are wood post it may be possible to dig down below ground and cut them off. Use caution though.

timsjeep
04-16-2003, 01:02 AM
If they are "T" posts, then High Lift makes a Post Popper. They are great. Here in Colorado, only farm stores carry them. They make it really easy to pull them out. Tim

Arnold
04-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Dupont post puller TNT!

:blob2:

leadarrows
04-16-2003, 09:05 AM
I use a tractor but when I can,t reach them with the tractor I sometimes use a hi-lift jack and chain. Mostly though it is faster to just shove them back and forth a few times and just pull them out with you hands. I have pulled out hundreds of post that way. It helps if you can do this just after a good rain,they pull much easer when the ground is wet. Be careful or you can break them off if there very old.

paponte
04-16-2003, 09:38 PM
4 in 1 bucket. :D

leadarrows
04-17-2003, 01:53 AM
If you don't have a tractor or jack have you got an old Tire rim?
Hook your chain around the post as low as you can and run your chain over the rim the bigger the rim the better. Now attach your truck or even your mower and the rim wil force the chain to pull up. Pop goes the T-post.:D

slowleak
04-19-2003, 10:10 AM
chainsaw base as far down as possible. then take you BMFH and pound in a few more inches cover with soil.

Popper357
07-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Back to this thread...

What about pulling steel chain link posts out of dirt? And how about pulling out concrete footed posts?

And can you concrete a post whole if you used water to soften the groud for the pulling? Weird questions I know but I need answer ASAP (gotta at least seem professional).
Ryan

sbvfd592
07-16-2005, 02:41 PM
bi metal blade on a saw zawl or dig your azzoff around the bost but i mostly cover them

bicmudpuppy
07-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Back to this thread...

What about pulling steel chain link posts out of dirt? And how about pulling out concrete footed posts?

And can you concrete a post whole if you used water to soften the groud for the pulling? Weird questions I know but I need answer ASAP (gotta at least seem professional).
Ryan
Rent a small skid steer and lift them out. KC rental places have dingo's, SK500's and bobcat skid steers for rent. Unless they spent a whole lot of money on concrete, you will be fine. Before you return the skid, use the bucket as a wheelbarow and take soil around to fill the holes back in. :)+
Oh, yeah, if you can watering before pulling will make your life much easier. After removal, the posts can be salvaged by putting a couple of good whacks w/ a 16# hammer to the concrete.

The Captain
07-17-2005, 01:14 AM
How many do you have to do? If there aren't too many, I've pulled posts with an old style car bumper jack, not one of the silly little new ones you get. (The older guys will remember the type I'm talking about.)

Start by wraping the end of a stout (heavy) chain around the post as low as possible and hooking the remaining chain over the end of an old bumper jack, set the jack base plate on a piece of 2 x 12 or conc. block as to not sink into the dirt. Then you just jack the post up as you would a car. You may have to reposition the chain as the post comes up.

Just a suggestion.....Oh, by the way, the day you're going to do this,......I'm busy. LOL

Good Luck, Jim

Green-Pro
07-17-2005, 01:26 AM
The Captain How many do you have to do? If there aren't too many, I've pulled posts with an old style car bumper jack, not one of the silly little new ones you get. (The older guys will remember the type I'm talking about.)

Deadman, thats what we called that type of jack, a deadman jack.

If the posts are tall enough I usually wrap chain around them a few times, hook to the bucket on the loader and up she comes. If they are to short I kind of like the BMFH idea :waving:

-Geoff

bicmudpuppy
07-17-2005, 03:14 AM
How many do you have to do? If there aren't too many, I've pulled posts with an old style car bumper jack, not one of the silly little new ones you get. (The older guys will remember the type I'm talking about.)

Start by wraping the end of a stout (heavy) chain around the post as low as possible and hooking the remaining chain over the end of an old bumper jack, set the jack base plate on a piece of 2 x 12 or conc. block as to not sink into the dirt. Then you just jack the post up as you would a car. You may have to reposition the chain as the post comes up.

Just a suggestion.....Oh, by the way, the day you're going to do this,......I'm busy. LOL

Good Luck, Jim
You can still buy a similar jack from farm supply stores. TSC carries them for sure. We used to call the farm variety a "handy man". I never did like the term "dead man" when I was growing up around the maint. shop at the Golf Course. But, watch one of them slip and you know why they called them that.

Grassmechanic
07-17-2005, 08:03 AM
We called them "HI-Lift jacks".

orionkf
07-17-2005, 05:31 PM
All good suggestions so far. One variation I have found works good is to use a good stout piece of lumber as a lever, with a chain around the end, and a couple of concrete retaining wall blocks as a fulcrum. If you position everything right, you can just sit on the end of it and bounce. This works for all types of posts, with or without concrete. It helps if you go around the post once with a shovel to clear dirt away. If it is stubborn, you can get someone to "tap" the post with a BFH as you are sitting on the end, and it should come up a little bit with each swing.

Popper357
07-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Indeed, good ideas guys.

Itsgottobegreen
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I just knock over the metal ones with my kubota. The wood ones. Tilt the bucket all the way back. Come up to the post on a corner and press the bucket up against it. The lift. The post comes right out. (works good for mail boxes to after it been ripped off by snow plow). Plus you can used the bucket as a big hammer. Just put the post back in. Then wacked it down with the bucket. Do it all the time.