PDA

View Full Version : attn. quickbooks users

BLL
04-15-2003, 11:25 PM
I am using quickbooks for the first time this year and just realized a problem i am going to have. I have mostly monthly accounts and im not sure how to enter daily work inquickbooks without invoicing for each days work. I liek to enter everything daily as to nto forget anything at the end of the month. The biggest problem is mowing. After mowing 10 yards a day 5 days a week 4 weks a month there is now way im gona remember whos i cut when. How do you guys enter this info or keep track of it outside of Quickbooks. Thanks

Fine Lines Lawn
04-15-2003, 11:43 PM
I use QB Pro and love it. My suggestion is to go ahead and invoice every days work, the way you thouht of, and send monthly statements to your monthly customers. That way, you'll be able to do your tracking of production, and still bill the way you want to.

BLL
04-15-2003, 11:59 PM
so you are sayin every day do an invoice for every customer and send a STATEMENT at the end of the month rather then an INVOICE.

If i do that how do you recieve payments, will it automatically apply teh payment to all of the invoices from the previous month?
Thanks for the help!

Mueller Landscape Inc
04-16-2003, 12:28 AM
You can create the invoice and stamp it "Pending" from the edit menu. The next time you mow, just bring up that same pending invoice and add the new cut to it. Continue through the end of the month and stamp it "final" and send it.

KenH
04-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Mueller Landscape Inc
You can create the invoice and stamp it "Pending" from the edit menu. The next time you mow, just bring up that same pending invoice and add the new cut to it. Continue through the end of the month and stamp it "final" and send it.

John, is this for every version of Quickbooks, or 2003 Pro???

Thanks

KerryB
04-16-2003, 08:41 AM
I use Qb Pro 2000 and this is how I do it.
I just start an invoice and then save it. The next week I open it back up and add to it.

Mueller Landscape Inc
04-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Ken,

I believe that all the versions of Quickbooks has this ability.

lawnMaster5000
04-16-2003, 12:48 PM
I use quickbooks for 100% of my record keeping. With all my mowing stuff i never use invoices. After everyday of mowing I enter "statement charges" these are entered into the Accounts Recievable window directly and are not assigned an invoice number. when a statement is printed it shows the job description along with all payments applied during the period

quickbooks allows you to enter payments that are automaticaly applied to specific items.

KenH
04-16-2003, 03:03 PM
LawnMaster...How do you invoice customers??? The only prob. with your method is you cant add sales tax...

1grnlwn
04-16-2003, 10:58 PM
I keep my mowing records on excell spreadsheet. Do a printout at invoicing time.

Mark

Premo Services
04-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Easy go to
www.alocet.com
check out QXpress. It integrates with quickbooks and is a real time saver. After setting it up it is just a couple clicks and jobs are completed, postphoned or rescheduled. At the end of month a few clicks and invoices are sent to quickbooks. I love it!!!!!:D:D

dougaustreim
04-17-2003, 08:18 AM
We have used Lawn Monkey for several years and was very happy with it, but recently we switched to QXpress. It has been like going to heaven. That is the greatest program I have seen yet for our type of work.

I couldn't say enough about it. Enter the job when it is sold, and after that everything else is just a few point and clicks until the money is in the bank.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

KenH
04-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Mueller Landscape Inc
Ken,

I believe that all the versions of Quickbooks has this ability.

John-- Another quick question if you dont mind. Is there any way to easily search through your invoices?? If I keep my invoices pending, and want to pull one up to add new work, how would you do it??

If I find the name in the Job dropdown menu, it just comes up with a blank invoice.

Thanks

BLL
04-17-2003, 08:35 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOD QUESTION!!!!

BLL
04-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Just answered my own question... Go to your normal invoice screeen as if you were doing a new invoivce. Below the green stripe( least its green on mine) and to teh ight of the previous and next arows is a find icon. Click on that and you can search a couple of different way

KenH
04-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks BL--- I was hoping there was an easier way. It would make more sense if you could just pull up the invoices from the customer:job dropdown menu.:(

Mueller Landscape Inc
04-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Ken,
Bring up the invoice screen, go to edit menu and click find invoice, click on customer and you should be there.

It has been years since I have used this method.

I would suggest using Qxpress along with your Quickbooks program.

cos
04-18-2003, 12:09 PM
I simply write down all the lawn cuts and then invoice at the end of the month. If you want to keep it simple, write the customer on one sheet and then add the date after your cut. Then there is no flipping thru to find all the dates for 1 customer.

KenH
04-18-2003, 02:06 PM
What does Qxpress offer which QBooks does not??

Premo Services
04-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by KenH
What does Qxpress offer which QBooks does not??

Scheduling:
After setting up customers it will schedule monthly contract paymemts, and charges for services that are not on the contract it will bill for them. Schedule one time jobs, this is a great thing for me. I enter the info and it goes on the schedule.

Invoicing- sends them to quickbooks for the accounting part. But in qxpress a few clicks of the mouse and all invoices are done, no more entering the jobs for every week on the invoice. It has a module that will put the route list on a palm pilot.

Customer Service---- Some of the best customer service around...:D

See the demo on their site.
This is one of the best investments that I have made, besides my lazer...:D :D

AK Lawn
04-23-2003, 03:59 AM
Do yourself a favor and get a program called"ACT" has saved my *****, it does scheduleing and keeps track of everything, i aslo use QB's Pro and they work great together, have daily sheets printed off each day and are givin to my crew so check that out you will thank me very soon,
AK Lawn

Got Grass?
04-23-2003, 05:20 AM
I make a separate invoice out for every visit. At the end of the month I send a statement out. For detailed $$$ jobs I will include a copy of the invoice. I've never had a complaint yet. except one customer who thought their price went up not realizing it was the sales tax.:rolleyes: Upon request I will give copy's of individual invoices.

They owe me X amount write the check out for X amount thats their receipt. Customers could care less how I bill them, as long as it's the correct amount.... of course every darn one of them would prefer if I never sent them a bill. but thats not gunna happen....
:D

jwholden
02-17-2004, 03:11 PM
When I did weekly lawn maintenance I would create an invoice for my customers dated the last day of the month. I would add all new work to this invoice at the end of the day so I had one invoice for the entire month. Let's say you cut the lawn 4 times in a month, I would write 2/3,10,17,24. The cost of mowing the lawn is the same, for me, so I just let QB multiply it out. I would add any cleanups, hedgetrimming, fertilizing etc. to this invoice.

At the end of the day I would run the report open invoices by customer which lists all open invoices in alphabetical order. Go through your list of completed tasks for the day and add the work. Just be sure to add the work to the right invoice, there are often more than one open invoices for each customer.

On the last day of the month print the invoices and mail them. I would also mark all of my regular maintenance customers invoices to be printed so I could go right to the print invoices screen and pick and choose which ones to print out. This system worked great for me mowing 20-30 lawns. It could get cumbersome with a larger operation.

Hope this helps...

Team Gopher
02-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi BLL,

If you have a chance, visit our website and download our software. It will help you with all your scheduling and billing needs. You can also export your data to quickbooks.

mtdman
02-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by lawnMaster5000
I use quickbooks for 100% of my record keeping. With all my mowing stuff i never use invoices. After everyday of mowing I enter "statement charges" these are entered into the Accounts Recievable window directly and are not assigned an invoice number. when a statement is printed it shows the job description along with all payments applied during the period

quickbooks allows you to enter payments that are automaticaly applied to specific items.

What he said. I do this exactly, except I do my billing weekly. I have a schedule sheet that I use to keep track of daily work, enter it at the end of the week. As statement charges. Then at the end of the month, print out a statement and send to the customer. When I get their payment, I receive payments and the money is applied against all statement charges automatically.

I've never used an invoice for my customers.

Soupy
02-18-2004, 06:11 PM
I always used the statements too. We don't charge tax here. This year I'm using Gopher and i'm very exited about it. Give Gopher a try, you will be happy, plus Steve is a nice guy :)