PDA

View Full Version : Tall Fescue.. To roundup or keep

tnedator
04-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Need some advice here. I have El Toro front and back. In part of my backyard (~300 sq feet), it is very protected from sun both by trees and privacy fence. Some of my El Toro sod died off, which was also aided by my dogs running along the fence. This is a section about 30 feet by 6 feet, and then there is another four feet or so that is sparse.

Last year, rather than trying to track down sprigs or sod to resod that area, I went with a Scotts shade seed mix. It apparently had some tall fescue in it, and while it did not take in the part that was completely bare, it is growing in the areas that were sparse, mostly growing in clumps. That's the background, now the questions.

First, should I leave the tall fescue to fill in where my El Toro was weak and then just let the strongest survive?

Second, and related to the first, is it likely that the tall fescue will invade into the main part of my back yard and choke out the El Toro where there isn't a shade problem.

My original thought when I threw the grass seed down was to just go with whichever grass survived, but I assumed that it would be the El Toro, which holds up very well to my dogs running, once it is established.

So, I am wondering if I should hit the clumps with roundup, trying to lose as little of the El Toro surrounding them. Or, to let nature take it's course. I guess it sort of bugs me to see Tall Fescue listed as a grassy weed and then see it in my backyard. Kind of like I am not doing my job right.

Clay
04-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Man.... This is a lot bigger problem than that grassy weed you were lookin' for :-)......

Sounds like it's not a "turf" problem, but a shade and dog problem!!! With a double team like that... "ya just ain't gonna get decent turf in that area!".... sorry...

Might need to think about a raised bed with some shade loving plants???

Clay

tnedator
04-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Wait until I post about my flower bed problem.... lol

What about the place where the Tall Fescue has taken root. Should I risk it taken over and wiping out my expensive El Toro and start zapping it with Roundup, or will the thick El Toro eventually choke out the Tall Fescue?

Clay
04-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Fescue is not an aggressive grass and does not spread like your warm season turf.... Being fescue is a cool season turf, it will do a little better in the cool, shady areas, but won't venture out into the sun and compete with your warm season...

You could grow a hard fescue in the shade, but it still won't stand up to the dogs....

greenman
04-16-2003, 10:24 PM
It doesn't matter what kind of grass or plants are there, nothing will grow where dogs run, play, and do thier business.

tnedator
04-16-2003, 10:52 PM
So far the El Toro is holding up very well. I have only two minature poodles, but they still make wear tracks. Along the fence the grass is flattened, but not down to dirt. The only place I have trouble is where it was real shady and I lost the El Toro completely.

greenman
04-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Ok. Why is it so shady? Trees? Is it on the North side? If you cant get any sunlight to that area, my suggestion is to make a shade bed there. Hostas,ferns,impatiens,....the list can go on..............

tnedator
04-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Ok. Why is it so shady? Trees? Is it on the North side? If you cant get any sunlight to that area, my suggestion is to make a shade bed there. Hostas,ferns,impatiens,....the list can go on..............

Guess I could take a picture of the area. In the morning the sun is blocked by the privacy fence (the worst area is a corner of the yard) then when the sun gets up, it is blocked by trees with branches overhead. I have thinned out many of my trees, but these trees are in a neighbor's yard. He has no desire to cut the trees, because he likes the trees better than grass.

greenman
04-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by tnedator
Guess I could take a picture of the area.

But you couldn't take a picture of the grassy weed you were trying to describe?:confused:

tnedator
04-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by greenman
But you couldn't take a picture of the grassy weed you were trying to describe?:confused:

Problem is that weed hasn't popped up this year, and I am trying to deal with it before it does. If (when) it comes up again this year, I will either post a picture here or bring it to the extension office.

greenman
04-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by tnedator
Problem is that weed hasn't popped up this year, and I am trying to deal with it before it does. If (when) it comes up again this year, I will either post a picture here or bring it to the extension office.

Duh!:rolleyes: I knew that.:p :dizzy: :sleeping: