PDA

View Full Version : Who trims the fence?

bob
09-10-2000, 04:41 PM
Here's the lay-out. You have a customer that does not have a fence. However the neighbor on the right side has a long chain link fence. Do you trim the fence line or leave it for the neighbor to trim?

Bobby
09-10-2000, 04:59 PM
bob
I'd do my side if it's on the property line.

OBRYANMAINT
09-10-2000, 05:01 PM
i would trim it sometimes remember you want your customer to see a sharp yard ,a little extra work it worth tyhat in my book

geogunn
09-10-2000, 05:04 PM
it depends on your agreement with your client as to whether you trim the clients side of the neighbors fence.

in my opinion, if it's not in the agreement and the fence is more than a nominal amount...it's no trim.

it's a shame if grass growing through a chain link fence make your nice mow job look like crap but that's the breaks.

GEO

SKDCO
09-10-2000, 06:57 PM
Spray it w/ an herbicide(on your side, 1/4 to 1/2 strip)and keep on going. No fuss,No muss.

65hoss
09-10-2000, 07:12 PM
If one side of the fence is on your customers side, just trim it. That could be the difference in them giving you a great reference or just an ok job reference.

Eric

Doug406
09-10-2000, 08:23 PM
No Doubt, If you do not trim the fence you are nothing but a money hungry lawn care butthead!! Trim the fence, add it to the price if you think it is nessesary for profit. But trim the stinking fence and start being proud of the work you do or get out of the buisiness. It is about time that we call ourselves professionals by doing a quality job, is'nt it!

Richard Martin
09-10-2000, 08:40 PM
Trim the fence, no doubt. I have a couple of customers who have chain link fences and the neighbor doesn't trim on their side. I just go over there and trim it when it gets unruly.

John DiMartino
09-10-2000, 08:51 PM
I do a lawn with 2500ft of fence,I trim it all,the neighboring businesses lawncare companys do not trim and it grows thru the fence making my job look bad.I got permission from the warehouse to trim it once already,just so my job looks ok,I think ill be getting both neighboring jobs next year,if i bid them.

Chuck Sinclair
09-10-2000, 08:55 PM
Sure am glad to see i'm not the only who would trim the fence! The way i see it the fence was there when you gave them the price for the job and it most likey looked like CRAP then so you knew what to expect!

eslawns
09-10-2000, 09:21 PM
I'd do a chain link one like this, but if it's a fence with paint, stain, or any vinyl or plastic costing, I'd get permission from the owner in writing. If you damage it, you could be responsible for repair or replacement. I wouldn't ever spray herbicide without permission from all concerned. Be careful doing this anywhere near kids or pets.

John DiMartino
09-10-2000, 09:27 PM
its just a chain link on an industrial site,and im not spraying herbicides because if one speck gets on their side,the lawn care co might cry,so its not even worth the chance of missing the target so to speak.I take no chances with pesticides,its not worth it.

cantoo
09-10-2000, 09:42 PM
Been there done that, make sure you ask your customer first. Sometimes there is a dispute over fences and who owns what, I always ask before I do this type of work. I always do a walk thru with the customer and find out exactly where their property line is and what they want done. If they say not to worry about the fence because it is the neighbour's I wouldn't do it but I would watch for the neighbour and if they were around while I was cutting I would ask if it would be okay to trim it. Most people wouldn't complain but they can be some real strange people out there. I once cut a corner lot and when I gave the one time customer the bill they said they didn't own the 8' along the roadway and that I wasn't told to cut it and they wanted the price reduced because of it. I explained that the price I gave them was for their lawn only and I would ask the County to pay for the road portion later. The bad news is I have cut the property 5 times since then and each time she comes out to make sure I don't cut the last 8' It turned out she had a dispute with the County about some roadwork they had preformed.

eslawns
09-10-2000, 09:49 PM
Cantoo,

Does this make the work that you do look incomplete? IF it does, how do you handle this?

BUSHMASTER
09-10-2000, 10:07 PM
you trim on any fence surounding peramiter of your jobsite.if done often enough maybe the neibor if not a custom to trimming may start.

cantoo
09-10-2000, 10:09 PM
It does for the first while until I can talk to the neighbour, actually I usually send my wife over to do the talking. I only have one place where they don't want us on their property, the two guys can't stand each other so we don't want to get involved. We have some properties here that have trees close to the line and we asked the neighbour fist if we could spray roundup around them, they said okay but I could tell they were worried we would kill the small trees. i talked to the owners last week and they said the row of little trees has never looked better and could we keep doing it and they would pay for it.. More $$'s I often find that men will never give a woman a hard time especially when it comes to late payers, so I usually make my wife talk to them first.

thelawnguy
09-10-2000, 10:15 PM
I always trim my side of the fence regardless of who owns it.

I figure this in the original bid.

Runner
09-11-2000, 09:10 AM
Just a helpful hint: As I trim a chain link fence, I usually give each section a quick "sidekick" (as I'm usually walking backwards on fences) This allows me to clean it better per each side. Most fences usually give a bit. "Tip of the day."

davesgs75
09-11-2000, 11:18 AM
i always trim all fences on the property, makes my customers lawn look better, also i want the other lawns in the neighborhood therefore i have to do quality work. most of the new residential lawn i get are by customer referial. quality pays off.

GrassMaster
09-11-2000, 03:32 PM
Hello Everybody:

I always trimmed along the fence, it's part of the job. If you don't the next guy will. Even if the customer doesn't ask I do it because that would be something that would get throwed in your face later if problems down the road.

After I had been in business a while, I made sure that stuff like that was taken care of if customer wanted it or not, pay or no pay. If it wasn't A#1 I wouldn't park my truck in front of it. I even turned down a lot of work if the lawn didn't look like it had good possibilities. Image & looks is the majority of the job.

Doc
09-12-2000, 05:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have to agree with the Grass Master. It is part of the job. If you don't do it maybe a SCRUB will do it for you. One less customer for you plus one for the SCRUB. Small things count and maybe the difference between you getting a good name or developing a bad one. Just my one cent.

Doc Scrub