PDA

View Full Version : Rhododenruns as foundation shrubs?

ksland
04-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Is this a big No NO? I have heard its nat good because of the lime in the foundation concrete get into the soil where the Rhodys like acidic soil.

landscaper3
04-16-2003, 07:50 PM
If you mean placing them in flower beds say 2-3 feet from house with mulch, yes it will work in our zone! We have many customers that have them along home foundations. Also you can add the needed nutrients to soil where there placed.

AGLA
04-17-2003, 06:10 AM
Rhododendrons are, or at least were, about the most common foundation plant in this area. While it is true that this is an acid loving plant and concrete is alkaline, we have enough acid in the soil (and rain) around here to keep a Grateful Dead tour happy.

Rhodies have lost popularity in recent years because many people perceive them as the same old, same old, that was in front of their parents house when they grew up and because they are oversized in many neglected plantings. Another reason they are losing popularity on the Cape is that more people are shifting toward summer blooming plants to cater toward the seasonal homeowners.

They do not do well in our area if they are in sand or tiny pockets of loam in sand fill. They also seem to have a hard time getting nitrogen out of "stump dump" loam (as does everything else).

Yews are another perfectly good plant that people seem to have grown tired of.

GarPA
04-17-2003, 06:31 AM
To each his own I guess but I have found Rhodies to be a headache to keep healthy and vigorous...I put them in the same category as azaleas...too short of a blooming time frame for the care they require. I know some do well but I have seen so many that do not.I strongly recommend to customers that they consider other plant options that are hardier and bloom later and loner.