PDA

View Full Version : which hedge trimmer?

Pugsly
04-17-2003, 11:59 AM
I got a echo srm2400sb trimmer. Is it better to get the articulating hedge trimmer attachment for this or get a whole seperate echo hedge trimmer?

what are the pro's and con's to each?

Thanx
Keith

fox
04-17-2003, 01:40 PM
use my trimmer for trimming, and have always owned a hedge trimmer for pruning. echo makes a nice hedger.

actionpike
04-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Echo hedge trimmers work great.

BobR
04-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Pugsly - I have the articulating attachment for my PAS 260 and it is a great piece of equipment, it is used in conjunction with my HC 1600 hedge trimmer.. If I had only one trimmer it would have to be the HC 1600, the PAS with the trimmer attached is just too large for the majority of trimming that I do so I limit its use to the large shrubs where the smaller unit cannot reach.
You are going to have to be the judge of what you need to have to do your jobs efficiently.
BobR

rodfather
04-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Get a separate one...they're expensive, but if you have a lot of use for it, it's worth the investment. I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now.

Doc Pete
04-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Get a separate one...they're expensive, but if you have a lot of use for it, it's worth the investment. I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now.
Putting the articulated, or any head on a straight trimmer makes it too long for everything but the top of hedges. All the standard stuff you couldn't do, so as RodFather says, get a dedicated one. Redmax makes a mid size one and my choice in the Echo 2400.

greenman
04-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Who is that in the pic? that not you, is it?

bastalker
04-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Ok you guys can laugh if ya want, but i have 2 weedeater 22" trimmers and I love them They are light, will cut just about anything, and you can sling em all day long. I have numerous very large hedge trimming jobs, and these trimmers just eat em up. They run $159, IMO you cant beat em....:) :drinkup:

The Lawn Boy Pro
04-17-2003, 11:11 PM
bastalker, no need to fear! I've got a Homlite 22 incher too! Also have a 208 MPH Homlite blower (all I could afford at the time-hey it does the job-thats what really counts,and the fact it has NEVER broken in the 4 years I've had it)

Doc Pete
04-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Ok you guys can laugh if ya want, but i have 2 weedeater 22" trimmers and I love them They are light, will cut just about anything, and you can sling em all day long. I have numerous very large hedge trimming jobs, and these trimmers just eat em up. They run $159, IMO you cant beat em....:) :drinkup:

I realize you they work fine, however, for another $200, you could have a piece of equipment that pay for ifself in just 6 hours of use, and then you'd actually start making money at what you do. Sorry, but Sissor's do a fine job too, it's just that the idea of a business is to make money at it..........
Been there, done that, done that again, you're just wasting time.........
Pete

NCSULandscaper
04-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
I realize you they work fine, however, for another $200, you could have a piece of equipment that pay for ifself in just 6 hours of use, and then you'd actually start making money at what you do. Sorry, but Sissor's do a fine job too, it's just that the idea of a business is to make money at it..........
Pete

Why cant you make any money off of cheaper equipment??
I started off with the Weedeater hedge trimmers and made plenty of money with them. They are a good lightweight machine and held up to years of abuse. Now i have upgraded most of my equipment and it still does the exact same thing as my old stuff did.

Doc Pete
04-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
Why cant you make any money off of cheaper equipment??
I started off with the Weedeater hedge trimmers and made plenty of money with them. They are a good lightweight machine and held up to years of abuse. Now i have upgraded most of my equipment and it still does the exact same thing as my old stuff did.

All I'm trying to say is, first, I've used both types of equipment. Once you go to a profession powered and designed tool, you'll immediately notice you can cut much faster, smoother, reach more areas, put less strain on your back, breath less exhaust and "BASICALLY" do the same job in "half" the time it takes using "cheap" tools. So, sure you can use cheaper tools, but if you can do the same work in half the time, IMO, it just doesn't make any sense.
Pete

Toroguy
04-19-2003, 02:46 PM
I bought a weedeater hedge trimmer four years ago. I have looked into the trimmer that Pete promotes, and anticipate a purchase. The problem is that my homeowner weedeater works fine and has yet to let me down.

The Lawn Boy Pro
04-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Sounds like what switchless is trying to say in general is: "If you're a professional, get professional equipment".

Doc Pete
04-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
Sounds like what switchless is trying to say in general is: "If you're a professional, get professional equipment".

OK, so it's "me" that's supposed to keep hitting myself with the hammer. :dizzy:
Now, all together class; If changing equipment lets you do the job twice as fast, that means you make twice the money. Now, if you don't want to do that, please thinking of changing jobs and take up Professional "Sock hole" mending.............
Pete

BobR
04-19-2003, 10:03 PM
OOPS - pressed a key which posted junk..
BobR

BobR
04-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmm - I think LGF has a saying that would apply here.

What does all this have to do with Pugsly's question ??
BobR

johnhenry
04-19-2003, 10:53 PM
diffferent tools different jobs I use two different type of hedge trimmers and the more money you spend on them beter the cut.Echo,stihl and redmax all offer great hedge trimmers.A $150. hedge trimmer will not cut near as good as a $350 trimmer plus the cheaper ones dulls within very little use

bastalker
04-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Pete

Well damn, If i can cut as many hedges as you do in the same amount of time and save $200, I will probably do just that. Mine payed for themselves in 3 hours. In the last 2 years I have made nothing but profit from them. Wait sorry 1 year 355 days an 21 hours. My scissors will cut rings around you switchless. If ya wanna test this theory, I have a double hedge yard identical. You can pick which one ya want.

You payed 359.00 for yours and they paid for themselves in 6 hours.

I paid 159.00 for mine.They paid for themselves in 3 hours..

Whats your damn point????????

Doc Pete
04-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by bastalker
Well damn, If i can cut as many hedges as you do in the same amount of time and save $200, I will probably do just that. Mine payed for themselves in 3 hours. In the last 2 years I have made nothing but profit from them. Wait sorry 1 year 355 days an 21 hours. My scissors will cut rings around you switchless. If ya wanna test this theory, I have a double hedge yard identical. You can pick which one ya want.

You payed 359.00 for yours and they paid for themselves in 6 hours.

I paid 159.00 for mine.They paid for themselves in 3 hours..

Whats your damn point????????

Err.... that I'm wasting my time bothering with this......

bastalker
04-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Hey pugs, I have had the echo, and the articulating attachment. The attachment was awkward for me and didn't really work for reaching high 10 ft hedges from a step ladder. The straight echo is an awsome machine but it is heavy. Maybe I am just old, and just like the lighter trimmers.Sold my echo, and went to the weedeater. I just liked it since it was so light. I do a lot of hedge trimming here in Ct. I trim half my neighborhood, as well as regular accounts, and take great pride in it!

If you are trimming hedges that produce 3/4 inch branches and up. well the echo would be the way to go.

My pair of scissors work great for 3/4" and under:;)

CO.d 502nd
04-20-2003, 03:06 AM
I use the echo 2400 great hedge trimmer also use the had held 1500 .Also have stihl hedge trimmers tough and stay sharp .
The echo's are good hedge trimmers .

Gr grass n Hi tides
04-20-2003, 09:54 AM
I've got the Stihl HS45, which is fantastic machine and not knock- you-down expensive at about $250.

Pugsly
04-20-2003, 11:23 AM
thanks for the replys guys!!!!:)

I think i/m going to go with a stand alone hedge trimmer. Seems that's the 90% consensus here.

Now without screwwing up the thread more...what's the performance differance between the double sided trimmers and the single-sided? is one heavier or more effiecent than the other?

Doc Pete
04-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Pugsly
what's the performance differance between the double sided trimmers and the single-sided? is one heavier or more effiecent than the other?

Well..... If you are going to get a midsize trimmer, they only come double sided. Furthermore, they can cut in both directions. Last, if you care to use your noodle, holding any of the chainsaw style trimmers, it's easy to see "all the weight" is out in front of you, and will take a toll on your back, while the Midsize is balanced. Also, it's impossible to cut the top of a 6 foot wide hedge with a chainsaw style trimmer, unless you cut from both sides, while the midsize can do it all from one side. To continue, the chainsaw trimmer forces you to bend over, while the midsize (MD) allows you to stand upright. Next, you canít cut the sides of a 12 foot hedge without a ladder with a chainsaw style, but you can with a MD. And, the Chainsaw (CS) style always has the exhaust in/near your face and will make you sick after a while, but the MD style has the exhaust behind you.

It's a simple decision, unless you have trouble deciding whether or not you need to wear underwear each day:dizzy: :dizzy:

Kohls Landscaping Co
04-26-2003, 09:09 PM
I've used both the echo and stihl hedge trimmers and have to say hands down that the stihl hedge trimmers are better. They are much better balanced and i haven't a problem with mine so far... it's just my opinion so if ya disagree i understand...

Doc Pete
04-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Kohls Landscaping Co
I've used both the echo and stihl hedge trimmers and have to say hands down that the stihl hedge trimmers are better. They are much better balanced and i haven't a problem with mine so far... it's just my opinion so if ya disagree i understand...

Since a pole style trimmer has no balance issues, because the motor's on one end the trimmer head is on the other, I'm assuming your comment is pertaining to the chainsaw style of machine????
Pete

ULTIMATE LAWN
04-26-2003, 10:55 PM
I own single, double & articulating.

Nothing compares to the single sided. The double sided are used for some small trim work but for overall power, presision, versatility & performance go with a long bar, single sided.

http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/hedgetrimmers/index.asp?id=7&cat=25&pid=-1

nelbuts
04-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Ok my $.02 here.
I have a Robyn 24" hedge trimmer for just about everything.
Then a Echo long shaft hege trimmer with articulating head for taller stuff.
And for real tall stuff I have an attachment for my Power Pruner pole saw with an articulating head. One thing though, when you have that thing extended all the way out you best have a strong back and arm cause it is a beast. But it sure beats lugging a ladder around. Cost for that head alone was $285.00. I use it on three jobs and it has paid for itself a few times.

Doc Pete
04-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
I own single, double & articulating.

Nothing compares to the single sided. The double sided are used for some small trim work but for overall power, presision, versatility & performance go with a long bar, single sided.

http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/hedgetrimmers/index.asp?id=7&cat=25&pid=-1

I now see the problem....Did they stop making the Mid size 2400 with standard head????

landscaper3
04-27-2003, 12:34 AM
We use Echo's HC1500 and Hc 1600 along with PAS 260's with straight shafts and articulated shafts. We use the HC-series for low shrubs and the PAS's for taller ones.

Tharrell
04-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Pete, that's a British website. The first indication was .uk but then I noticed the guy in the picture had rotten teeth. he he he

Doc Pete
04-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Tharrell
Pete, that's a British website. The first indication was .uk but then I noticed the guy in the picture had rotten teeth. he he he

Thanks. Hmmmm, kinda dumb to post a UK website. I didn't even check. Anyway, here's the correct website to view. This is one of the units I use...... Of course you need to get rid the "stupid" holding handle on the machine, since your arm will fall off in about 10 minutes, if you use it the way they suggest. Also, since it weighs about same as a weed wacker, weight isn't a problem. And yes, I think Redmax has a similar type unit, too.

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=SHC-210&Category=HEDGECLIPPER

ULTIMATE LAWN
04-27-2003, 10:05 AM
The double sided & mid size are a good tool for novices to learn on & for doing some smaller fine hedging. We carry them for the new guys. Once you get the hang of these, however, you never go back to double.

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=HC-230/HC-231&Category=HEDGECLIPPER

Doc Pete
04-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
[B]The double sided & mid size are a good tool for novices to learn on & for doing some smaller fine hedging. /B]

There ya go. All I do is "Smaller fine hedging" and shrubs.
Pete

Gr grass n Hi tides
04-27-2003, 10:24 AM
My Stihl HS45 is a good machine, regardless of "skill level" or "application." We have a LOT of pampas grass removal in my area and it's especially good for that. I bought it specifically for it's size so I could get in and out of tough and tight spots. Opinions vary.

CO.d 502nd
04-27-2003, 08:38 PM
here is my hedge trimming arsenal all of em are good trimmers

JohnyNCa
04-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Id like to get one of those echo shc-210 hedge trimmers. Where on the net can i order one? i live in calif and my local dealer only sells stihl...also the echo's that are not calif epa compliant are they more powerful? thanks guys
Johny

mowngrow
04-27-2003, 09:44 PM
get a dedicated unit for this. that way if the power unit goes down you can still your trimming or prunning whichever the case may be.

Clay
04-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by JohnyNCa
Id like to get one of those echo shc-210 hedge trimmers. Where on the net can i order one? i live in calif and my local dealer only sells stihl...also the echo's that are not calif epa compliant are they more powerful? thanks guys
Johny

Johny,

http://alamia.com/ Ask for Jeff... he has taken good care of me as I live on the Oregon/California border.... Where in California are you?

I bought one after reading Switchless suggestions (Thanks again) and found it to be a little different feel at first, but am now getting a feel for it and am using it more and more.... just takes a little time to feel comfortable....

Good Luck, Clay

UGA
05-23-2003, 01:55 PM
I was checking to see if they make a mid sized articulating hedger as Switchless has and I can't seem to find one; The only one they have in that style is the very long 96"? version. Guess I'll have to look at Redmax or finally break down and consider Echo.

Doc Pete
05-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by UGA
I was checking to see if they make a mid sized articulating hedger as Switchless has and I can't seem to find one; The only one they have in that style is the very long 96"? version. Guess I'll have to look at Redmax or finally break down and consider Echo.

It does seem the Echo's are the only ones with a compact, non articulated extended shaft hedge trimmer. It's basically the same weight as the chainsaw styles, about the same price, but naturally does so much more.
Frankly, "I'm sure" at one time or another we've all pinched (or worse( our leg after trimming with the chainsaw style and then letting it settle by our side, "before" the blades have fully stopped. Big ouch!!! Another reason to buy the shaft style..... Oh well.........
Pete

grassmeister
01-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Doc Pete - I think you made some good points about the longer pole trimmers vs. chainsaw style trimmers. You also said in a previous post that you use the short shaft one most of the time. Echo has 2 models like the ones you talked about: HSC-210 (33" shaft) and the HSC-212 (20" shaft). Are these the ones you have? Which would you recommend if you could only have one? It would seem like the short shaft is best for what I mainly have - medium size shrubs which require some room to maneuver. I do need the extra reach on the larger shrubs, but I'll need to get on a ladder anyway, so I think both would work on those. Without having used either, it just felt like the shorter ones seem better for most things.

One other concern is that I feel like I have good control and "feel" for what I'm doing with the chainsaw style trimmers. Do you still have this with the longer ones?

Thanks.