PDA

View Full Version : Toro Timecutter vs. Hustler FasTrac

Go_Tribe
04-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm narrowed my search down to two ZRT's: Toro timecutter and the Hustler FasTrac. Both close in price:

Toro - 18 hp Kaw, 52 in., $4900
FasTrac - 18 hp Honda, 52 in., $4800

Pros and cons on each one? Which do you prefer and why?
What about Kaw vs. Honda engine?

I want mine to last!!!
(only will mow about 1.5 acre)

All replies appreciated.

Go_Tribe.

CBB
04-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda makes the most durable engine on the market. They are built to last and take abuse. Go buy and look at some of the engines at rental companies where equipment is punished. If they are anything like the ones around here they will have Hondas on most of 'em.

crs
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
From what I have seen the Hustler is probably the most durable of these machines.

It just seems to be a little beefier in the blade spindles and caster wheels and also the deck.

I think for home use you would not notice any difference in these two engines. They are both good units

sjz60
04-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Interesting subjet..my next door neighbor was the first in our development to go with a ZTR..he showed up with the 18/52 timecutter, and was the cat's meow for 3 months. Last August, after shopping around, and learning about lawnsite.com, I found the Hustler Fastrak..believe me when I tell you, side by side..no comparison the Hustler is the better built machine..heavier duty all over. The biggest thing for me was the FABRICATED deck, not stamped like you see on a cheap lawn tractor...The hustler cuts GREAT, nice striped look when its done..speed is the same for each mower, in fact the Toro is a little faster than mine, not sure why, the hydrogear units appear to be the same. Also, the other big thing for me was the availability of the 20HP HONDA..what a sweet running motor, LOTS of power. I put gatorblades on this season, and they shred the tall fescue up a little better than stock, although I may wind up going with doubles or getting a catcher this season for my front lawn. The Hustler holds a lot more gas than the Toro which is nice. Also handles the tall stuff better, I think due to deck design..Hustler handles great on hills and has better 'feel' at the controls..everyone that has tried it has loved it and was able to adapt very quickly. I have used both on my lawn. The timecutter is nice for the $, better than a tractor..but not as good as the Hustler in my opinion. i got my 20HP unit for $5200 and change last season total. I put on an hour meter and the optional seat springs, which have also made it that much better! Good luck, for me this was an easy decision once you get over the fact that you are about to spend $5k to mow your lawn!! I can now make my yard look professionally done in 1 hour (1.4 acres) versus 3 hours on my old 46" Craftsman!

Doc Pete
04-21-2003, 10:17 PM
The Hustler is the stronger machine and I love Hustlers ( everyone knows). However, the Time cutter has a terrific spindle driven bagger unit that works like the Exmarks. If you want to bag, the only machine is the Time cutter, though I hate saying it. It cuts great and is great for fall leaf cleanups........BTW, I have the Time cutter, only because Hustler just doesn't have a good bagger system yet.
Pete