PDA

View Full Version : whats mulch?

sirsweatsalot
04-17-2003, 10:38 PM
ok so maybe im not really smart or maybe i live in the wrong part of the country but no one uses mulch other then potting plants. i have a few questions about it i hope you guys and gals have some anwsers.
1. what can you put it on exmples.. lawns, around trees, ect?
2. what does it do?
3. how do you spread it?
im sure i'll have more once people start replying, and yes i did a search but im still a little foggy on the basic details. thanks.

SpudsM15
04-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Mulch is commonly used in beds (around srubs) Its helps keep the moisture in the soil. Also acts as a weeb block.

MikesLC
04-18-2003, 06:48 AM
You've never seen bark mulch in flower beds? How do people keep the weeds down in your area?
1) Around trees, in shrub beds, flower beds, etc.
2)Keeps the soil moist, retains heat, looks good
3)With a sileage fork or large shovel
mikeslawnsdotcom

LawnGuy73
04-18-2003, 08:45 AM
You live in MN amd you say know one uses the term "mulch", thats like the only word for it up here...You can't tell me you've never seen it under all these trees in flower garden, ect.

I think someone needs to move the rock you've been under
:cool: :D

sirsweatsalot
04-18-2003, 11:53 PM
hey epic us non 612ers have a little different way of life i guess. if you would have read it better its not that i haven't heard of the term mulch i was just wondering other uses for it.

Lombardi
04-19-2003, 02:34 PM
I use a golden cedar mulch in almost all of my landscape installs. The only time I will use rock is if the customer requests it. In my area our summers are very hot so we use a lot of mulch due to it's moisture retaining capabilities. To answer your questions:
1. It can be used around trees, in flower beds, in landscape beds, playground areas, etc.
2. It acts as a weed barrier, retains moisture, and is aesthetically pleasing. Cedar mulch also smells good.
3. Depending on the accessibility to the job site, I throw it from my trailer or haul it by wheelbarrow. I spread it at a thickness of approximately 3".
I also tell the customer to turn the mulch once a year and it will look like new mulch was just spread. Mulch also has to be replenished every 1-2 years due to its composting attributes.

ZX12R
04-19-2003, 09:45 PM
This is a trick question,is it not????? ;)

johnhenry
04-19-2003, 10:25 PM
mulch sounds like too much work for me and to stir it can't pay me enough:D :D

sirsweatsalot
04-19-2003, 10:28 PM
since it has good moisture retainment can it be a problem in areas where there is too much moisture and mold is a problem?

Lombardi
04-20-2003, 10:25 AM
In an area where there is a lot of moisture, you would probably be better off using a river rock. I know that in your area where the summers aren't so extreme, river rock is used quite a bit.

landscaper3
04-20-2003, 10:05 PM
We use black dyed mulch up here, we get 3-5 trailer loads a year, here is one 18 wheeler load.

landscaper3
04-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Woops!