PDA

View Full Version : I've got seeds germinating, but......

Boltzie
04-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I don't know what type it is. I aerated and overseeded my lawn on 4-4-03. Some dead turf was removed and the new seeds are about 1" tall. I overseeded lightly with perennial rye and heavily with turf type tall fescue. In some areas, it looks like the fescue seeds are lying on top of the soil and haven't done anything yet. Are these seeds dead? Am I correct to assume that the perennial rye seeds are the newly growing grass in my lawn? They are about 1" tall with a dark red color near the soil.

Also, the purdue site says to water the new lawn 3-4 times per day but doesn't state how much water to apply. I've been trying to water the lawn at least once a day since I overseeded.

Thanks,
Dan

Green Pastures
04-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Seeds must be in the ground to germinate, I'd say the ones on top of the ground are dead by now.

strickdad
04-24-2003, 10:25 AM
the grass you are seeing now is the rye, it has a faster germination than the fescue.. as far as watering you should be watering about 3/4 of an inch per zone every other day.. when the grass reaches a height of 2 to 2.5 inches you will reduce watering to once a week, but water at a full 1 inch per zone...