PDA

View Full Version : Direct mail????

hubb
04-18-2003, 04:29 AM
What is the best way to start a direct mail program? How do you get the mailing lists, etc.?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rob T
04-18-2003, 04:46 PM
I recently sent 2400 mailers out to people in my zip. Got the list from Americalist. Worked ok. Only a few bad address so far. I would reccomend them. Although I didn't shop around for the best deal so I can't say if they were reasonably priced. Think i paid $60 per 1000. Postcard warehouse has lists also.

do the search, there's lots of info on here...

Tomt
04-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Rob T, what kind of response did you have?

hubb, I had cards printed for $88.00 per thousand, two side- two color, on white heavy paper. I did the design work.

You can get a mailing from the tag office for vehicles or property owners. I am going to buy one next week I am told the price is about $40.00.
Let me know how effective it is. LOL:)

hubb
04-19-2003, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. That is just what I needed.:)

Mike Bradbury
04-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Check your local United Way. In our city (and others) they operate Post Masters a non-profit mail service. They will address and mail your piece for LESS than your cost for postage alone. They will maintain your mailing list and add or drop anything you want. Once setup you just call and tell them what date and what piece and it's done. CHEAPER than you'll believe.
We used them to stuff the envelope, address them and mail them for .27 a piece! Postcards were "around" .10 a piece I believe.

RMDoyon
04-19-2003, 01:12 PM
www.infousa.com
www.growpro.com

The above two companies plus a local bulk mailer have been very effective for me.

I get about a 1.5% response rate which is above average (1% is average).

I have spent ~$2600 over the past 8 months ( 2 mailings) and generated over $12k in annual accounts.

Tvov
04-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Talk to your local Post Office. Awhile back (couple years) I remember getting a mailing from them about helping small businesses with mailings. I don't know if they still do it.

nu83
04-19-2003, 11:28 PM
12k in annual sales seems low for a 1.5% responce rate on $2600.. Can you tell me what kind of accounts you targeted and what type of accounts you got. I send much the same way you do, except I did not go with growpro this year. I sent a full envelope with 2 pages, 1 flyer 1 letter. I am going to send postcards next year to get more households for the $.
Thanks

RMDoyon
04-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by nu83
12k in annual sales seems low for a 1.5% responce rate on $2600.. Can you tell me what kind of accounts you targeted and what type of accounts you got. I send much the same way you do, except I did not go with growpro this year. I sent a full envelope with 2 pages, 1 flyer 1 letter. I am going to send postcards next year to get more households for the $.
Thanks

nu83,
I only mentioned sales which resulted in annual contracts and the first mailing did not target that business. In addition, there waa an additional ~$5000 in one-time business from last fall. Although that business should be budgeted for this fall as it is aerating and overseeding which I intend to solicit for again.

This past mailing I targeted residential homes in my own plus one adjacent zip code (all within 3 miles of my house) worth $165,000 or more. And I advertised complete lawn services and basic fertilization packages. Thankfully, everyone interested about the fert package has been upsold to the standard plan.

nu83
04-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info, I did much the same. I did three zip codes in my area and pushed lawn maintenance.