PDA

View Full Version : hand edging

slowleak
04-18-2003, 10:23 AM
i'm doing some edging for a client.i know how i like to do my personel edging around my beds and it looks great but,what is the normal(acceptable) angle and depth for a commercial application. also putting down that black mat material. thanks kevin

BRL
04-18-2003, 11:59 AM
"i know how i like to do my personel edging around my beds and it looks great"

I would go with that. Good question. I don't know if there is a normal or standard depth & angle and I'll be interested to see what people post.

mdvaden
04-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Never heard of a standard, but its been a few years since I did commercial.

Since machines adjust, any angle could work.

Many companies out in Oregon are using string trimmers now, so gauging an angle for that seems impractical.

I do remember that when I worked at Oregon Landscape (became Northwest Landscape and now True Green) the metal edging blades wore out twice as fast when edging an angle since it drove the end into the concrete.

On the other hand - you are talking about beds, so that may not matter.

Near concrete, we found that the angle was not only hard on the blades, but started grinding the edge of concrete worse.

About 20 years ago, when going to college, and living at home, I dug out an edge that was a total of about 1/8 of a mile. It varied from 2" to 8" deep. I was careful not to step on the edge to avoid a collapse. Twice a year I shaved the lower part of the edge with a square tip sharpened shovel, and the top of the edge with a gas powered blade edger.

It took 5 afternoons per week for about 3 months to complete digging the edge with a gradual slope back up into the beds.

slowleak
04-18-2003, 05:53 PM
thanks guys. got it done. now i know why it's always good to get things wrote down and signed. 85 ft of edging= 85.00 that floored em'. house poor people+ ignorant (new) landscape guy(me)= PAIN IN THE ***.:) it was a valuable lesson learned. made about 18.00 an hour........bummer.......

slowleak
04-18-2003, 05:57 PM
thats for the whole deal. which was install 6 yds of mulch etc.....sorry for the confusion