PDA

View Full Version : privacy planting

JML
04-18-2003, 04:19 PM
I have a customer who has about 60 feet that they want to screen out from their neighbor. They want to go with white pines. What else would you guys throw into the mix for some more color. I was gonna throw in a few thundercloud plums, junipers, and gold threads to add some more color. Everytime I try to think about design now my head hurts. Just wondering what kinda input on the design of a "green fence" you guys can provide. Thanks

ParkerLawn
04-18-2003, 10:16 PM
I like to use Arborvitaes for privacy. Better looking than pines, faster growing and thicker foliage for better privacy.

NCSULandscaper
04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
I prefer to use Leland Cypress as a privacy screen. Extremely fast growing and tolerant of many conditions.

Little Guy
04-18-2003, 11:14 PM
I have to agree with NCSULandscaper about the Cypress!

I would also incorporate your Idea of additional plantings but lower plants in front of the screen as to give a STEP affect to the overall look!

Hope it helps!

Little Guy
:blob2:

Lanelle
04-18-2003, 11:16 PM
I think that a mixed planting, using several different types of trees in small drifts, rather than a straight line of one thing, makes a better looking screening planting.

JML
04-19-2003, 07:59 PM
What would plants would you recommend to mix with? I usually use arbs or leylands, but the customer like the "christmas tree" look. Thanks

capital
04-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Throw in some PJM's for spring color and smaller yews with boulders for color in the winter also check ur site lines from were they are looking and see if u need a solid line or can break it up with some undergrowth trees and shade trees so u do not end up with a solid line of pines

Turfdude
04-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I too agree w/ Leyland cypress or arborvitaes (elegantissima, emerald green, techny or nigra). However, you should also look into some junipers (moonglow, spartan, robusta, hetzi columnaris, as well as others) since they do well w/ the more windy conditions often known to the shore areas. They also tolerate heat well too.

PRapoza451
04-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Depends on the client's needs. Are they only there in the summer? You can get a lot of screen by placing a deciduous ornamental tree closer to the viewing perspective. Like a heritage river birch 15' off a house can totally block out a neighbor from a picture window. Or you can mix it up using both deciduous and evergreen. I like to vary the heights, depths and textures of plantings for a more "natural" look.
________
Paul