PDA

View Full Version : Lauching Business in 2004, any new tips?

akiravu
04-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Looking to start my own landscape and mowing business in 2004 as a one man show for now. My location in northern Indiana has rapid growth in homes over 175,000+ range. I have worked for two landscape companies in the area, and learned a great deal. Both of these company were among more reputable companies, however both had management problems. One was running production 60-80hr a week, with crews going AWOL part of the time, and the other had large debt increasing overhead cost. I have conections from one or two relators, and a home theater installation company to refer me to new home owners. I'm confident that I can get 10 to 20 or more accounts during my first season, but I wonder how much landscaping that I can get my first year? Are landscaping jobs hard to get until your name is more well known?

Another question, maybe wrong forum, but in Indiana, non-liquid fertilizing doesn't required a certification?

tiedeman
04-18-2003, 10:29 PM
first of all regarding the landscaping...try to cross sell to your current customers landscaping maintenance and that is how your landscaping aspect can take off.

Best advice that I can give you in regards to the business is go slow and don't jump in too fast. I have done this twice in the 11 years that I have been doing this and I learned my lesson. My first jump in was that I went in too much on equipment. My debts got too large and I had to sell off a lot of it. The second jump was when I first hired employees. I actually had to let customers go because at the time I didn't plan well enough to have employees and the time that I did get my employees I was way behind.

Just go slow and make sure to provide excellent quality to your current customers. What I would do is get like around 20 to 30 customers and provide them with the must personal attention that is available. Then after a year, get 10 more and so and so on. The key is that when you grow your quality and personal attenation will not go down the tubes.