PDA

View Full Version : Round up and Junipers?

Cooper Landscaping
04-19-2003, 05:23 PM
I have a large amount of juniper groundcover on a hill that has weeds randomly spread throughout. I was wondering whether an app of Roundup will wind up killing the junipers or not. If it will, other than manual labor pulling them out, does anybody have any ideas for getting rid of these?
Thanks
-Coop

KenH
04-19-2003, 08:12 PM
What type of weeds? If they are grassy weeds, you are in luck....

philk17088
04-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Lontrel at 1/4 oz per gal water and you can spray right over top of the junipers.

It is expensive but very effective.

Cooper Landscaping
04-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies-
It is a grassy weed. I just wanted to make sure that the roundup wouldnt damage the junipers if they accidently got hit. Thanks again
-Coop

NCSULandscaper
04-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Roundup is a non-selective herbicide so anything that is sprayed will die or be damaged. You need to look into a selective herbicide that takes out certain weeds. Which means you will have to identify the names of the weeds you have.

SnoJob67
04-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Coop, if you were a certified applicator, you would not have to ask what is an elementary question. I realize that we all have our limitations and knowledge in specific areas. If the federal government thought that it was OK for anyone to apply chemicals without so much as basic knowledge of herbicides, they would not require you to test in order to be a lawful applicator.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am telling you that there are many (in this trade and other contracting trades) who have a diminished respect for people who don't pay taxes, have insurance, proper licensing, etc.

Although being certified does not mean you cannot make a mistake, it will assure that you can at least read and comprehend a label, MSDS, etc. Do yourself and our industry a favor, don't take shortcuts. Get certified or let the customer hire someone who IS qualified to do the job.

Scraper
04-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Well said Snojob. Thus why Congress enacted FIFRA in 1947 and amended it with the Federal Pesticide Control Act in 1972.

P.S. If you look at the original posters age, maybe you have taught him something. Also, my bet is he isn't old enough to get licensed in his State anyways. But there are always going to be people who snub their noses at the rules and will apply anyways. As a matter of fact, I watched one the other day as I was trout fishing in the stream below the property he was applying pre-emergent on. How do I know he was unlicensed? Because here in PA you need to have your business registration number posted on the vehicle. Wonder what affect his post-emergent applications may have on the water quality?:(

Cooper Landscaping
04-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Scraper and snojob-
I am in fact not a certified applicator, and that is why im not doing the applition myself. One of my customers has this problem and does not have the money to pay to have them hand pulled or the time to do so himself. He asked for a sugestion and roundup came to mind. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt suggesting any thing that would cause damage to the surroundig plants.
-Coop