PDA

View Full Version : mulch and termites?

tjcezar
04-19-2003, 10:04 PM
A customer has asked me about another kind of mulch I could use since someone told her not to use bark or wood mulch because of a termite problem at the residence. I didn't think that would be an issue but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little confused about this scenario.:confused:

capital
04-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Use cedar or cypress mulch

Turfdude
04-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Capital has it right w/ the cedar. Termite nests have to be active near ground surface for them to attack mulch.

Lombardi
04-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Definitely cedar. I use it in almost all of my installs and have never had a complaint about termites or other insects. I've had it around my house for 6 years and have had no problems.

tailoredlook
04-20-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't have any problems with dyed mulch. I was told this is due to the way it is heat dryed so it could be dyed.

gvlawncare
04-20-2003, 10:23 PM
I have never tried it, but they came out with rubber mulch a couple of years ago in my area. It's made of recycled tires. I Dont know if they have it in your area, but look into it. It's supposed to last forever too. Other than that, I'm with everyone else, try cedar or cypress.

tjcezar
04-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the help! I did hear about the rubber mulch but never saw it. The thought of rubbber mulch though? I'm not real keen on that.:cool: