PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseed winter mix - new lawn

CentralMassWeb
04-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Hello.

I just moved into my new home in November, and at that time the builder hydroseeded with a winter mix (supposedly a guarantee). I am finally beginning to see some grass appear just in the past week as the sun begins to actually hit the ground.

I have watered a couple times in the past week, mainly evenings and over the weekend. I have no idea what type of soil I have, nor do I know what type of grass was sprayed in the mix. I do see quite a bit of hay, but that has moved around do to the snow and water runnoff. I am located in Central Massachussets, north of Worcester.

My question is, how do I handle the maintenance of the hydroseed? Do I need to add any fertilizers? How often should I water? When should I cut it first?

In areas that were ripped up (with tire tracks from contractors) how do I repair so that grass it will grow here as well.

Thanks,
Matt Ward
Central Mass Web Design

ahah
04-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Once seed has germinated, the soil should be kept moist at all times. Starter fertilizer was probably in the hydroseed mix, but a little more after all that time wouldn't hurt. I usually mow new grass after it has reached about six inches tall. Make sure your blade or blades are sharp.

CentralMassWeb
04-25-2003, 04:03 PM
So if I go by some starter fertilizer this weekend, what should I buy?

Thanks so much for replying.

and I guess I should get a mower! :)

ahah
04-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Without a soil test and not knowing much about your area of the country I cannot specify a certain starter fert. But here I would recommend a 10-20-10. Scott's products are usually a little high in the nitrogen department for my liking. Your LOCAL garden center ( not cosco, lowes, or home depot or any mega place) should be able to steer you in the right direction. They know the part of the country they live better than corporations buying in bulk for money savings.

CentralMassWeb
04-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks so much. I will check it out this weekend.