PDA

View Full Version : Striping a common bermuda lawn

tkalafut
04-21-2003, 04:37 PM
This is my second season for the lawn at my new house. I'm cutting it with a 7 blade Tru-Cut reel mower. I'm going to try to keep the lawn 3/4" to 1" this whole season to thicken it up real well.

I have found a roller striper on the web for around $60, but if it's not going to work, I'd just as soon not throw that much money away.

My question is, how successful can I expect to be? Will I be able to get visible stripes? The roller will end up weighing around 30 lbs. when it's done.

Will I have better luck if I raise the cutting height a bit? The lawn is common bermuda, and I'm in Atlanta, GA. I water and fertilize etc. regularly, so that part is covered.

Anyone have any luck doing this in my situation?

johnhenry
04-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Bermuda wont stripe at all.It can be a very beautiful lawn if cared for right.Go for the plush carpet look on bermuda.I know this isn't what you were hoping for.Best of luck

greenman
04-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Bermuda WILL stripe, BUT not at 1", or even 2". It will stripe at 3" or higher.

Lawn Cops
04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I agree with greenman. I have lush brumuda lawns that stripe very well. They stripe better if they are fertilized and watered regularly. Add Iron to really bring out the green. Raise your height to bring out the stripes. I cut all of my brumuda lawns at 3 - 3.5 inches. It will also increase the frought resistance.