PDA

View Full Version : bed edges w/sidewalk edger?

gogetter
04-21-2003, 09:18 PM
A customer wants me to create beds and install mulch around some shrubs she has in front yard.

I'll need to cut in a new edge. Too small of a job to bother renting a dedicated bed edger (only about 40 linear ft.).

I have a regular walk behind edger (for sidewalks). I was wondering if I can utilize this rather then cutting them in by hand with a shovel?

The head can be tilted, so I could run it along cutting in the vertical edge first, then run it again in the tilted position to cut in and get that "check mark" or slanted "V' shape.

Is this gonna work, or should I just leave it home and take a shovel?

Thanks.

ZX12R
04-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Here's what i do when making a new bed for mulch and/or plants.I will talke a sidewalk edger(i do not tilt the blade) and cut into the grass where i want to start the bed.I then do the same thing one foot apart from the line i just made.I then take a grub axe,remove a thin layer of grass getting all the roots,and then I spray round up on the remaiming grass.If i am mulching,I go right over what I have applied round up to after it has dried. If i am planting I bring in soil to build up the beds and add plants.