PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Lawn Tractors

whacked_46
04-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks for takeing a look at this. I am only 15 and have have been one of the lucky ones that is able to get bussiness. I have worked my butt of going to school and owning my bussinss. And its finally paid off. Ive got 20 residential contracts this season and i have 4 commercial accounts.

So here is my ordeal, seven of my properties are at least one acre and flat. I only had two of these last year useing a 21 inch mower (not self propelled). With having so many of these now i have realized that it is to much to walk. So i am looking at financing a tractor. Its a tractor that is part of the GX series or formely the 300 series. Now i know there are alot of you that are going to say that i should get a ZTR. But the main issue is that i need a tractor that will also push snow. And also rototill, so what i need to know is if this is the right way to go. I am still young and have lots of time to grow my bussiness, but do any of you think that this is a bad first tractor for me to get.

The second thing that i need to know is if the GX series has a hydralic blade lift. I really dont want to be pulling on a stick all night up and down.

Thanks for your time as always.....

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=SKU20731&cNbr=HO_LGT&sCName=GX%20Series&tM=HO

hosejockey2002
04-22-2003, 06:56 PM
If you want a tractor that you can mow with and still use other implements with, check out the Kubota BX series. It's not much larger than a lawn tractor, but it has 4WD, full hydraulics and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) live PTO. You can get loader and backhoe attachments for them also. However, they are not cheap. But I'm partial to tractors. I imagine the guys on this site who know better will tell you to cut grass with a ZTR and put a plow on your truck. The BX has a nice midmount finish mower, but I would bet a 48 or 60 ZTR will cut twice as fast and do a better job.

Flex-Deck
04-22-2003, 10:19 PM
I have run JD tractors forever - They will do everything you need, and last forever-

Thanks, Brad

Weedburner
04-22-2003, 10:23 PM
I have several tractors and a ZTR. The ZTR mows about twice as fast as the tractors. In Canada the blade on a garden tractor will not push much snow. Most ZTR's have a blade or a blower available. It will be hard to mess with snow timely while going to school. Buy the ZTR, make good money mowing and pick up a used tractor and tiller etc. next winter.

wxmn6
05-10-2003, 09:29 PM
I have John Deere GX325 and it is an awesome lawn & garden tractor. 18HP Kawasaki 2 cylinders motor without doubt is an awesome motor. Much better & reliable than Kohler. Although those Kawasaki are thirsty motors, they runs great! It is hydro and yes, the mower deck on those GX series have hydraulic deck lift, love that feature. It has automatic transmission, so no more shifting gears! The JD brochure does not say that 54" deck can go on GX325, but you can. Just go a little slower when cutting thick heavy lawn and you will be fine.

Another nice thing about this series tractor is that I can hook up JD MC519 cart with power flow bagger unit. A huge timer saver in leaves cleanup! It did a great job mulching up leaves into smaller pieces. When the cart is full, I just pull the handle on the cart and it dumps the material out.

This is my first mower that I bought when I started my lawn biz last year and it still runs great. This is a really good mower for a starter. I think you are on the right track. Go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck with it. :)

xi_bowhunter
07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
I have a 1977 JD 300 and love it. Have a 50 inch deck, snowblower, front blade and tiller. 50# weights and chains and have little problem moving snow. I really like the older tractors better than the new ones.

GreginAlaska
07-20-2003, 04:01 AM
HAve you guys ever looked at the Deere SST lawn tractors? (Spin steer)

Don't know if you can do anything other than mow with them, but the online video looks interesting.

Pecker
08-25-2003, 11:20 PM
". . . but do any of you think that this is a bad first tractor for me to get."

If you buy a Deere, you better buy the right one because it won't be your "first". If you take care of it, it will be your "only"!

I've heard good things about the Kubota mentioned above, but if you are going to spend that kinda money, you might consider one of Deere's smaller ZTR's or a WB (you can get a gear driven one pretty reasonable). Also, I personally feel that customers prefer the quality of cut a commercial mower gives over that of a lawn tractor. Then, like a previous post mentioned, buy something later specifically for pushing snow.

But whatever you decide on, make it a Deere!