PDA

View Full Version : Do most of you guys charge???

Victor
04-23-2003, 01:12 AM
When most of you do a landscape install. Do you tell your customers that you charge by the hour? When I lay mulch in an existing mulch bed. I charge a specific rate per bag. That includes delivery, laying the mulch, and clean-up. When you are doing work, like creating a mulch bed from scratch, or cleaning out a mulch bed. Do you charge by the hour as a way to cover yourself? I've seen some people on here mention this practice, but wondered if it was a common way of pricing work. For work like I mentioned above. I normally charge $60 per man hour. That way, if I run into unforseen problems, I'm covered. I'm convinced that no matter how experienced you are at bidding jobs. The threat of the unknown is always waiting to bite you.

Vic

paponte
04-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Landscape installs I always bid a price. If there are any unforseen problems I am covered by a contract that states instances will be above and beyond the quoted price. As far as any cleanups I base it on a per hour rate, but let the customer well aware that it is just an estimate.

I like to cary this printed on a card with me when I do installs...

Estimate
tr.v. es·ti·mat·ed, es·ti·mat·ing, es·ti·mates
To calculate approximately (the amount, extent, magnitude, position, or value of something).

Victor
04-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the good info Paponte

Vic

LawnGuy73
04-24-2003, 09:57 AM
I have had alot of customers know that its an hourly charge before I tell them, I think its just normal to do a service at an hourly rate....:D

KerryB
04-24-2003, 11:29 AM
I price it by the job. Most customers would and do freak out if you told them you charge $60.00 per hour.
Just figure up the amount of time you think it will take and then add some to it.

turfcare
04-25-2003, 11:57 AM
I do not charge by the hour, only by the job. I have learned a few lessons from doing it this way but actually it works out better. I did have a customer once who wanted to pay me by the hour but I told her I was uncomfortable with that and that I did not do things that way. I keep my profit margins to myself.