View Full Version : Do most of you guys charge???

04-23-2003, 12:12 AM
When most of you do a landscape install. Do you tell your customers that you charge by the hour? When I lay mulch in an existing mulch bed. I charge a specific rate per bag. That includes delivery, laying the mulch, and clean-up. When you are doing work, like creating a mulch bed from scratch, or cleaning out a mulch bed. Do you charge by the hour as a way to cover yourself? I've seen some people on here mention this practice, but wondered if it was a common way of pricing work. For work like I mentioned above. I normally charge $60 per man hour. That way, if I run into unforseen problems, I'm covered. I'm convinced that no matter how experienced you are at bidding jobs. The threat of the unknown is always waiting to bite you.

04-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Landscape installs I always bid a price. If there are any unforseen problems I am covered by a contract that states instances will be above and beyond the quoted price. As far as any cleanups I base it on a per hour rate, but let the customer well aware that it is just an estimate.

I like to cary this printed on a card with me when I do installs...

tr.v. es·ti·mat·ed, es·ti·mat·ing, es·ti·mates
To calculate approximately (the amount, extent, magnitude, position, or value of something).

04-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the good info Paponte

04-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I have had alot of customers know that its an hourly charge before I tell them, I think its just normal to do a service at an hourly rate....:D

04-24-2003, 10:29 AM
I price it by the job. Most customers would and do freak out if you told them you charge $60.00 per hour.
Just figure up the amount of time you think it will take and then add some to it.

04-25-2003, 10:57 AM
I do not charge by the hour, only by the job. I have learned a few lessons from doing it this way but actually it works out better. I did have a customer once who wanted to pay me by the hour but I told her I was uncomfortable with that and that I did not do things that way. I keep my profit margins to myself.