PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about hiring?This

Andrew Kovacs
04-23-2003, 01:28 AM
This business I got myself into is taking off. But so far I have done all of it by myself. However I woke-up under my truck this weekend while changing an axle on it. Any ways I need some more time I can keep some one busy 20 hrs a week. What does it cost you? insurance, wages, etc...
Thanks, and good luck.

tiedeman
05-01-2003, 07:37 PM
there are so many factors involved where you live at, the location of the business, your type of customers, etc that come into play in regards to insurance, pay, etc. If I was you I would first do a lot of research calling some insurance agencies find out the cost the insurance would cost you, talk to an accountant about taxes, and unemployment, and just plain research throught other LCO's what the going wage is for your area. Just lots of research is needed.

Meier
05-01-2003, 11:40 PM
When I was in college at Oklahoma State, I seem to remember my horticulture professor saying something along the lines of "You should figure a $10/hr employee will cost you $15 by the time you figure in all the equipment they'll break and the insurance, sss/med tax, etc.

Of course, that was over ten years ago. Maybe he was saying a $5/hr employee would cost you $10/hr. I can't remember, but it seems like the actual cost was about $5/hr more than the actual wage/hr.

Hope that helps. I haven't gotten to the point of hiring someone either...I'm a long way from that right now.

Later,
DFW, TX

lavan
05-07-2003, 06:06 PM
you have a couple ways of going about hiring employees. First you can find some day labor's you can search your phone book and there should be some day labor centers and you can pick a guy or two up and try them out and see how they work and if you like you can keep him around. You do not have to pay them that much and they always want cash, plus you do not have to claim them. But be careful cause if they injured while working you can be liable. Second if you have EIN you will have to have them file a w-4 and take taxes and the whole nine yards out on them. This can be costly if you are not budgeted for that. The last way is to have them fille a 1099 basically contract labor. This way you can show something to uncle sam or anyone else that asks about your payroll-----As far pay it is dependent upon there experience. Day labor usually about 5.50-8.00. Someone with experince 8.00-8.75hr. The main thing you want is a dependable person that you do not have to look over there shoulder or that will rip you off-----GOOD LUCK!!! EXPERINCE PEOPLE YOU WILL PAY FOR..

Green in Idaho
05-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Lavan, You are wrong on points.

Andrew use the "search" function at the top of this forum and you will find a mess load of information about hiring employees.

Mark

Lawn Tek
05-07-2003, 06:40 PM
As far as what it cost , cost are different everywhere .An Accontant can tell you what you need to know . I highly recommend them

Mike Hughes
05-16-2003, 09:51 AM
For payroll processing, I use Paychex. www.paychex.com

But, the coolest thing is they offer a "Pay-As-You-Go" Workers Comp program. You only put out a $75 deposit, then the payments for your WC insurance come out of your bank account with each payroll you run. I pay my guys $10 per hour, and they cost me $12.37 per hour.

This service they provide has kept me from having to deal with my state for the insurance, the state wanted a $1400 deposit !!!

Meier
05-16-2003, 10:04 AM
++++But, the coolest thing is they offer a "Pay-As-You-Go" Workers Comp program. You only put out a $75 deposit, then the payments for your WC insurance come out of your bank account with each payroll you run. I pay my guys $10 per hour, and they cost me $12.37 per hour.

This service they provide has kept me from having to deal with my state for the insurance, the state wanted a $1400 deposit !!!++++

Wow. Very cool. I glad you posted that. Very cool.

Later,
DFW, TX

wacamaster
05-20-2003, 01:32 AM
You can only get a guy 20 hours of work? That mean you could work 30-35 hours a week and get me all done yourself.