PDA

View Full Version : ztr blade change

roadking35
04-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Some ideas please!
I am taking delivery of a Hustler Z in the next couple of days and was wondering if I could get some ideas of how people are getting under the deck for blade change, sharpening?
I was thinking that a couple of ramps might give me the room that I need?
Didn't have this trouble with the old JD lol.
thanks for any imput
mark

HOWARD JONES
04-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Most commercial guys drive their mower up on the ramps they already have for their trailer. You could get ramps just for maintenance, or a good hydraulic floor jack would be good - you might even be able to tilt the machine up with a lever, (such as 2 by 4) - then be sure to use jack stands or blocks to avoid slipping while you're under there! Overall, I think I would recommend a floor jack and safety blocks.

roadking35
04-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Do you think that drive up ramps would work (like they use for cars)?
thanks

HOWARD JONES
04-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Yes, they would work fine - would have to anchor them down or push up against something solid to be sure they don't try to slide when driving up. Your mower probably has a parking brake, right? If not, be sure to chock wheels good to avoid rolling.

Green Pastures
04-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Ask your dealer, there is a company that makes a device that looks like a dolley that hooks the front underside of the deck then you simply tip the dolley back and it lifts the whole front of the mower up for easy blade access.

Another one of the many reasons I like Toro products. The new Z-Masters come stock with the Z-Stand. Flip it down drive up on it, lock the arm in place, set the e-brake and you're done.

mowerconsultant
04-23-2003, 05:48 PM
This is what you need.
The Super Jack.

sjz60
04-23-2003, 09:09 PM
car ramps for front wheels..

Then get yourself a piece of 2x4 that you can use under the frame in the rear..floor jack under the rear, up against the 2x4 works great..get the whole machine off the ground.

roadking35
04-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the help.... any ideas are great!
Is it ok to lift the machine by the deck? (from the front)
I'm not sure but it looks like the Super Jack is hooked under the deck lip?
thanks

Tvov
04-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by roadking35
Thanks for all the help.... any ideas are great!
Is it ok to lift the machine by the deck? (from the front)
I'm not sure but it looks like the Super Jack is hooked under the deck lip?
thanks

That's what I was thinking... That doesn't look like a good way to lift a ZTR with a floating deck (?).