PDA

View Full Version : what are the ingredients of jet black mulch?

walterslawn&landscap
04-24-2003, 03:20 PM
what are the ingredients of jet black mulch?

Green Pastures
04-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Jet black bark. ;)

jkelton
04-24-2003, 09:27 PM
I can tell you exactly what you are referring to. Hardwood bark + charcoal (or coal) ash from industrial sites = black mulch in our area. They have to add quite a bit of coal ash to make it black and to keep it black. That is why it is so messy and heavy. Some add in leaf compost (one in particuliar) to increase the nutrient level - this is why it stinks more than anything else. I personally have stopped selling this type of product because I feel that this product is definitely not good for the plants for numerous reasons, and I think most people are starting to realize the potential hazards of using this product.

There is a different process to make the product black - liquid dyed mulch. But, in order to do it successfully, you must use a wood product, rather than a bark product. There is one place in Middle Tennessee that I know of the offers this product. Email or PM me and I can give you the details.

I'm sure many of your customers are hooked on the looks of the black, but I think if they really knew what was in it and what it can do to the plant and themselves, they would have a change of heart. But, there are some that still want it no matter what the consequences are.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
04-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Up here it is called black gold. It is partially composted pine mulch mixed with compost. Never used it. Some swear by it for perrenials. Some just swear at it for the smell.