PDA

View Full Version : Gravely or exmark

tractorboy
04-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey guys I'am a newbie homeowner looking to make the right decision. I need your help. I have narrowed my search down to Gravely or Exmark. Both of these dealers are close by and they both make a good pitch to why i should buy their machine. I'm looking at the Gravely 252 . Has a nice air ride seat ,hydraulic deck lift and 25 Hp Kawasaki motor.$7500 out the door.
The Exmark has a foot assist deck lift No air ride seat . 23 hp Kolher engine.$7600+tax. Dealer says i can get a kawasaki 25 Hp for 300 more.
The Exmark looks to be a very well built machine. The dealer says the exmarks have the fastest blade tip speed and best cut . Also says that exmark has 50% of the zero turn market and landscapers perfer manual deck lift to hydraulic ones. Is this true?
Gravely seems to be new to the zero turn market and i have some concerns purchasing a piece of equipment that i may have for 20 years. Overall i think the Gravely with its bells and whistles gets my business. What do you Guys and Gals think.? Is Gravely in it for the long haul?
Thank you Tractorboy

Runner
04-24-2003, 10:05 PM
While all the rest of you said holds true, here's my take on the deck lifts. Depending on what all you are using yours for, it may differ a little for you. I prefer the manual deck lift, myself. Nit just for the obvious, one less thing that may require maintenance, but for usable reasons, as well. It's quick. No waiting for the deck to come all the way up before proceeding to a curb or object. It takes no hands. Both hands stay on the sticks, maintaining full control. This is especially nice on coming out of ditches, over crests of hill, and over obstacles like tree roots or something. You don't even have to lift it all the way to the top in many cases. With the remote hydraulic deck, while "seeming" cool, you have to let go to hit the switch. Just my 2 cents.
Oh, I probably should add, though, with the Gravely, they DO leave a nice cut, and you get aLOT of bang for the buck, for the amount of machine you get for the price.

farmguy
04-24-2003, 10:56 PM
I was in the same boat about a year ago, was comparing exmark with JD, Kubota, and some others. Had a number of good dealers around that could stand behind their product. I choose the exmark---lots of reasons I guess, built like a tank, great cut, and long service life. I keep about ten acres a week mowed around the farm and don't always have the brightest of employee running it so it was important that this machine be rock solid.

The leg lift has been a none issue, if you think about how much more weight can be lifted with your legs vs. arms then it doesn't matter much.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others have feelings the other way.

tractorboy
04-24-2003, 10:57 PM
Runner, thanks for the reply. This is the kind of feedback i was looking for. I had some concerns the dealer was trying to sell me a bag full of air. Thanks again

mac43rn
04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
No questions asked.

John Gamba
04-25-2003, 07:17 AM
I Started With Gravely Promaster 200's, The Deck Lift I Didnt Like Try to Lift the Deck In a Full Turn. Look at the deck Holders They Are Smaller And Weaker Then The exmarks. Since 96 All ive Owned Is Exmark And From 2002 And Up They Improved Some what. The Gravelys are Cheaper For a Reason And If You Look Hard enough You Will See the difference.
John.

Mid Rivers
04-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Exmark

Gravely_Man
04-25-2003, 10:31 AM
I believe that you are looking at two great mowers! I would demo each of them on your property before making a decision. I know from experience that you get a lot of bang for your buck with Gravely. The Gravely company has ceased making their four wheel riding garden tractors and now really starting to focus and go after the commercial mowing market. Best of luck to you and please let us know what you end up purchasing.

Gravely_Man

FrankenScagMachines
04-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
I Started With Gravely Promaster 200's, The Deck Lift I Didnt Like Try to Lift the Deck In a Full Turn. Look at the deck Holders They Are Smaller And Weaker Then The exmarks. Since 96 All ive Owned Is Exmark And From 2002 And Up They Improved Some what. The Gravelys are Cheaper For a Reason And If You Look Hard enough You Will See the difference.
John.

Haha and you were trying to sell me a Gravely just a minute ago ;)

slowleak
04-25-2003, 10:52 AM
i looked at exmark and gravely and toro and JD and i talked to their company reps. did research on their history. exmark was 3rd on my list.gravely won out. dealer support was also high on my list.also there are alot of good points to consider on the gazillion z-turn machines out there.i went with history. i bought a gravely.

Mid Rivers
04-25-2003, 11:14 PM
My local dealer has both Exmark and Gravely. I purchased an Exmark after listening to what they had to say about both. I have since tried the Gravely and they were not telling me lies. Demo them, use them where you work. You decide what works best for you and if it isn't Red well then you'll figure it out some time (just kidding). DEmo Demo Demo. It is free and easy, why not do it.

Green Pastures
04-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Demo them both on your property.

John Gamba
04-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Eric
I Told you a Mower that Cut every Weed Is My Pro 150-50 NOT For sale You Got Me Wrong. I Said It Wrong When i Said Pro 200 They where Pro-master 200 Riders BEFORE YOUR TIME Little One.
The Pro 150-50 was My first Mower that i Will Never Sell Until We Move To St Thomas.
John.