PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in junipers

cdmcg
04-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Has anyone used a herbicide on a bluerug juniper bed to get rid of grass and weeds. What concentration? My idea is to weedeat higher weeds down, blow off, pull up loose branches, and then mulch covering maybe 60% of plants wait and then spray the weeds that come through. What do you think? I would consider ripping out but it is a mature planting and in good shape except for weeds. Last year went threw pulling weeds more this year than last! :confused:

David Haggerty
04-25-2003, 05:28 AM
A local LCO oversprays junipers with Roundup!
I don't know in what concentration, or what time of year junipers are mostly dormant. I'd imagine that would be pretty critical.:eek:
If you don't get a reply here I'll ask him 'cause I need to know that info too.

Dave

greenman
04-25-2003, 10:33 PM
I would like to know too. I have this problem at one of my commercial accounts. I "accidently" sprayed round Up on a couple of the junipers (not the whole shrub,just a little part) spraying the bed(s). There seemed to be no affect on it. My guess would be Ornamec, or Fusilade, but what about broadleaf weeds?

cdmcg
04-28-2003, 12:24 AM
I'll let you know how things turn out I stopped by today and the weeds are almost ready for some "Round up" I think I will start with maybe a 1/3 of the suggested concentration and go from there.

David Haggerty
04-28-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by cdmcg
I'll let you know how things turn out I stopped by today and the weeds are almost ready for some "Round up" I think I will start with maybe a 1/3 of the suggested concentration and go from there.

I'd wait!

I killed off a whole bed of rug junipers once. And I was just spot spraying thistles that were growing thru the junipers. I thought I was pretty good at only getting Roundup on the thistles and none on the junipers. WRONG! It was in the spring. There were dead spots everywhere in the junipers. I tried pruning out the dead stuff but it didn't save it.
If you're overspraying for grasses and the like, I'm sure you have to wait till the dead of summer when the junipers are at their most dormant stage. You just have to pull weeds till then.

Sorry I havn't had the time to contact the guy I know who is actually successful at overspraying. I've been busy as a one armed paper hanger.

Dave